Search

rest. in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 03:32 PM
butch

rest. in NYC

1st i want to thank howard, david,gol,tweedy, on the advice & directions. next question we want to see times square at night so what is a good and fairly reasonable rest. to eat at close by or on times square.

thank you

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 05:45 PM
newyawker

Fairly reasonable is pretty vague.
China Fun is a nice, decent chinese restaurant that has entres for abput $8.
Nocello is a very good & nice italian restaurant. runs about $20 entre.
Ellens stardust is a singing waitress-50s theme place with decent meatloaf ($8). Hope this helps; try zagat.com or timeout.ny.com

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 06:23 PM
howard

I'd recommend Becco's on 46th St., between 8th & 9th Aves. (a block and a half from Times Square) and have the pasta special. I suggest you make your reservations for 8 p.m. or later, after the theater crowd has left the restaurants. It'll be less crowded, easier to get reservations and you can linger as long as you want.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 08:37 PM
bill

No offense to new yawker, but those selections are all very mundane. Nothing wrong with China Fun if you're on a budget, but it'll hardly be a memorable stop. Try the Hourglass Tavern on 46th for reasonably priced French food and a nice atmosphere. There's a Vietnamese restaurant on the corner across 46th at the corner of 9th Avenue. I think it's called Little Saigon, but I might have it wrong. Anyway, you can't miss it. Island Spice, on 44th, between 9th and 10th is good. There's also a good Turkish restaurant on 9th Ave., I think between 44th and 46th, on the west side.

More later....

bill

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 05:51 AM
Penny

Butch,

Just got back from a trip to NYC. We also enjoyed Nocello a great deal. It was about $70 for two, including a glass of wine each, entree, coffee, and tip.

Joe Allen was also a hit with us. It ran about the same, perhaps a few dollars less. Others on the same street--Becco included--looked quite nice. We preferred the menu at Joe Allen to the one posted at Becco, but I know many people rave about Becco.

I did a lot of research both at this forum (by searching for NY and restaurants) and at www.zagat.com. I searched at Zagat for Midtown West, then for restaurants that rated at least in the high teens for all their categories. I printed out a list of about 20, and then we walked by a number of them to read the actual menus and get a feel for what they were like.