Reload this Page >

Resorts that offer gold panning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 01:56 PM
Bri

Does anyone know of any resorts or farmstays that offer gold panning trips?

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 02:03 PM
kam

You might contact the Columbia Chamber of Commerce in the Gold Country in California, although it's not going to be a resort type thing.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 02:18 PM
SharonM

Sorry I can't be more specific without doing some research, but I KNOW that many of the Dude ranch stays offer this activity. Most of your dude ranches are in Colorado, Wyoming, Montanta, etc.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 03:10 PM
Bill

I am a gold miner and I am not aware of any gold panning farmstays. There is panning troughs in some of the old mining area towns like Virginia City, Nevada. They salt the sand with small gold flakes and charge you 4 bucks to get a nickel's worth of gold if you are lucky. When in gold country I try to find an isolated creek and pan there. Oregon is a place you want to avoid doing this. They have such crazy inviornmental laws. You can"t even relieve yourself in the woods like the wild anamals do. They say wild anamals don't use paper.

I am going to Nevada the first week of Sept. to do a little prospecting in the manner that I noted.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:49 AM
lisa

Don't know about specific resorts, but when we were in California's "Gold Country" (an old gold mining area) we saw lots of people panning for gold in the Yuba River, no idea if anyone got anything. This is a delightful area, around Nevada City & Grass Valley CA, in the foothills of the Sierras -- very nice small towns. There are several nice inns and good restaurants in this area. There is an old gold mine there that you can tour that is very interesting, and pretty hiking along the Yuba River (and swimming if you can handle the chilly water).