Resorts/relaxing in New Mexico?

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:00 PM
Glen

Resorts/relaxing in New Mexico?

Where does a couple go to relax at a resort in New Mexico? Also, we would want to see some touristy stuff as well, but no hiking, rafting, etc.

Fly into Albequerque? Stay in what cities? Where? How long?

Please help. Thanks all!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:37 PM
Lyle

New Mexico's short on true 'resorts'.
Outside Santa Fe there are Rancho Encantado and the Bishop's Lodge.
Albuquerque is pretty much devoid of 'resorts'.
Lots of natural beauty and well worth a visit, but this ain't Arizona or Southern California.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:59 PM
r

Lyle; I think you still can rent cottages at Rancho Encantado but the hotel/resort has been closed for awhile and is not supposed to re-open for another year or so.

In Santa Fe, The Bishop's Lodge has quite a bit of charm and is now being called a Resort. It would make an excellent base for touring the area. Also, there are cottages at 10,000 waves Spa and although it is not a Resort per se, it is very relaxing and beautiful. I have heard very good things about their Inn. The Spa itself is wonderful in a rustic sort of way. Just so that you know it's not the Golden Door but they have fabulous treatments and the setting is in the pinons. That's about 10 minutes from downtown Santa Fe. Rebecca

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Rob

We are looking into staying at the Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort outside of Albuquerque. Has anyone stayed at this (relatively) new resort and can report?

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 07:38 PM
deb

Rob,

I have not stayed at the Tamaya, but I live in Albuq. and went there just to see the place and it's beautiful! They have done a fabulous job with the architecture and siting the place to take advantage of the views. It's expensive though and the restaurants in the Tamaya seemed very overpriced to me. Don't know when you were going.... but I'd go when it's warm enough to utilize the pools. They had 3 beautiful pools with and a hot tub with waterfall pouring into it. Did not get to see any rooms. Nice golf course too.

To the original poster, Glen.... Ten Thousand Waves is a fantastic Japanese Spa up on the mountain road in SF. Worthy of a visit... best at night. Check out their website.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:57 AM
texasgirl

I second (or third) bishop's lodge; the updated rooms are beautiful, nice grounds, close to Santa Fe and even to the high road to taos if you want to take a lovely drive.

i stayed at the tamaya shortly after it opened and though the pools and grounds are nice, i thought it was pretty expensive for what you got, and was not very impressed with the food. the golf course is supposed to be good, and so is the spa, but they didn't have a full staff when i was there and so i couldn't get in to any appointments. keep in mind, this was only a couple months after opening, they may have fixed some problems by now.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Rob

Thank you both (the last two posters). Your comments were very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to post.