Resort Suites, Scottsdale

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resort Suites, Scottsdale

Anyone been there?
I was quoted a rate of $149 for a one bedroom suite for the first 3 days in April. I was told the normal rate at that time was $200 but they will give me a discount because it will be my birthday.
Is this really a good deal? Are the pools as nice as they look on the web site? Is service good there?
If you've stayed there, or even seen Resort Suites, please give me your thoughts.
Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:49 AM

I live in Scottsdale but I don't recognize that name. Is there more to it?
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 12:16 PM

ally: i haven't stayed there but have visited the place when a friend stayed over there. if i am correct, the place is about 15 years old and is real popular with golfers due to lots of golf packages. the place is a time share complex. so expect to see lots of sleazy sales folks talking to couples throughout the lobby and pool area. the place is located just north of the fairmont princess hotel and the TPC golf course. nother else within walking distance (ie only desert, homes and apts). i would say the place has average rooms and average or less service. however, i know people that only like condos because of the extra space and kitchens. hope this helps (and hope i am reporting on the correct place!)
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Well, that's pretty scary!
It's at 7677 E. Princess Blvd...does that help?
Web site is www.resortsuites.com
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Philips. I'm not too worried about the
'Time Share' sales sharks, as I'm real good at saying 'No, Thanks'. If I HAVE to elaborate I'll tell them my sister and I are just there to have some good sun/pool time and relaxation (which does not include a sales pitch!) for our Birthday, we're only going to be there three nights, AND I have relatives in Phoenix (which I do) so if I come back to the area I'd stay with them!
There are 3 or 4 pools, one called the 'Oasis' which is probably smaller, but it's supposed to be the 'quiet place' to go read a book, so we can avoid the 'lobby pool' and stick to the others!
I was told that there are several restaurants in the area, not necessarily in walking distance but short cabs rides. I hope that's true! We are also planning on stopping at a store on the way there to get some things.
As for catering to golfers, that might be a plus as they will be out in the mornings and early afternoons, so less people at the pool, right?
We are on a pretty tight budget, so the price seems right because it's hard finding a place for $150 or less.
Sounds like this place would be fine for our 2 days/3 nights.

FYI-My comment. 'That's scary' was directed to SuchAZ who says he lives there and has not heard of the place.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:36 PM

My husband I actually stayed there about 6 years ago with 3 other couples. We had 2 two bedroom units. If you want luxury, this isn't the place, but it was clean and the furnishings were perfectly fine. Nice to have the kitchen and living room. We had dinner one night at their restaurant and, while I couldn't tell you what we ate, we had a good time and the food was decent. The only other restaurants nearby would be the ones in the Princess. Of course, in 6 years, more could have been built in the area. We didn't encounter one time share salesman either.

Since we're golfers, I can't tell you anything about the pool. Sorry. I'm not really surprised that the other poster hadn't heard of this place. They very much cater to golfers and offer good golf packages, so that's their main clientele.

Don't know how much this helps, but I will say this, I would consider staying there again especially if I was only looking for basic lodging at a reasonable price (while getting a good deal on golf).
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Psychoelf. I'm encouraged by your post as we don't need luxury, just clean! And sounds like the pools could be fairly quiet because so many guest will be out playing golf!
Now I just need to check out how close the restaurants really are to Resort Suites as we can eat a couple meals there, but don't want to eat every meal there...and we certainly don't want to cook! We are only buying snacks and drinks for the room!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 04:05 PM

Ally, after I posted to you, I went to check out the Resort Suites website just to jog my memory, and the pics there actually do look very much as I remember the resort looking. Of course, the pics are a little "spiffed" up, but that's advertising.

I think you should be fine regarding the pool being quite during the day. Like I told you, this place is pretty much all about golfers and you know they'll be on the course most of the time.

As far as the restuarant question goes, will you have a rental car? Resort Suites (and the Princess) are really quite a hike into downtown Scottsdale where, of course, there are many good restaurants. A cab would probably be outrageous but with a car you would have many great choices. Are you going to take a cab from the airport? You might well be better off renting a car for your stay.

I really hope you'll report back on your trip since I'm considering a vacation to Scottsdale next year and I'm thinking about spending a few nights at the Boulders (very upscale and pricey) and then the rest of the time at Resort Suites. Can't beat their golf packages! I know that in 6 years a lot can change, so I'm hoping for a good report from you. Still, keep in mind, that my past experience there was positive enough that I'm thinking about returning.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 09:50 AM

I think I know the place, toured it (a la time share, in fact); I wonder if it used to have a different name. So many of our suite hotels have the word "suite" in the name, it's a little confusing.

In any case, $149 is a good rate. And there are plenty of good restaurants just south of the hotel on Scottsdale Road, and also to the west on Bell Road. You don't have to go to downtown Scottsdale unless you want to.

I hear a lot of talk about what I believe is a restaurant/night club called Barcelona. You might want to check it out if you're looking for a place to mingle, listen to music, etc.

Also, there is a big outdoor mall at Frank Lloyd Wright and Scottsdale Rd. with restaurants and good shopping--a Nordstrom's Rack, The Great Indoors, a Mikasa store, Trader Joe's (not a grocery store per se, but they have very good food, wine, and they are quite inexpensive). Have fun!
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied. Looks like a decent place to stay for our Birthday weekend. I have not decided about a rental car yet. We really didn't want to rent one and it seems that there are enough places nearby that we could just take a taxi, but then again, it's so far from the Phoenix Airport that I imagine a taxi would be quite expensive to and from Airport, plus out to eat a half dozen times, it may be worth a rental car.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:04 AM

We're going to Phx next week & got a car rental @$149/full sized car for a week. We also purchased a Phoenix Entertainment book for our trip & found a coupon in there for an add'l $20 off (covers the price of the book!). If we use a couple of restaurants, we'll be way ahead!
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:15 AM

I live closer to the airport (than the resort suites area) by 8-10 miles and my cab fare to the airport is always over $30--more like $35 each way. If you really don't want to rent a car, you might see if the hotel has a shuttle.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:36 AM

It is almost impossible to enjoy a stay in the PX-Scotts area without a car... Unless you're going to a resort to stay without leaving, you just have to have a car there. The area is so spread out that even cab fares are burdensome.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

We are only going for 3 nights...2 full days and were planning on staying at the resort with the exception of a 2-4 meals meals, but since SuchAZ has givin the price for a cab to hotel which is only half way to where were going, we will rent a car! Hotel does not have a shuttle and I don't want to take a Super Shuttle because there would probably be so many other stops on the way to and from resort /airport, sounds like a car is the way to go!!! Thanks everyone!