Notices

Resort near Denver

Old Feb 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resort near Denver

We are having a family get-together either in April or mid-May.

We are meeting in Denver and then want to go somewhere not too far away where there is hiking and a nice resort for relaxation, for the one family member who can't be too active. We don't want to ski, and we probably don't want to drive for more than half a day. Any suggestions? Will weather still be an issue in April?
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hiking and a nice resort is not very descriptive. The skiing will be finished by that time so you could get some very good discounts at any of the ski resorts -- Vail, Breckenridge, Copper, Keystone. Those areas would be pretty quiet and relaxing.Vail is the furthest at 2 hours. Ester Park would be a possibility but pretty sleepy at that time. But it is a dead end in that Trail Rail Ridge will not open till Memorial Weekend or later.

Hiking and mountains activities would be limited. It is what we call our mud season for obvious reasons. We are having record amounts of snow in the mountains this year so most of it will probably still be around in July. Weather could be a problem. April is our second snowiest month followed by May which is our wettest month. Weather in Denver will be Spring like but could be rainy and snowy depending on the temperature.

Stay in Denver -- lots to see and do. Rent a bike -- 500 miles of trails and paths in the metro area. And you can hike on this paths.

Need a few more thoughts on what you really what to do.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, resort as in a nice hotel like the Broadmoor. Hiking doesn't have to be major. Just something to do.

We've all been to Denver. This is a trip to see our children who live there--so we wanted to go somewhere different for a few days. We will be in Denver for several days as well.

I guess the other option is not to fly to Denver at all, but meet somewhere in the southwest where the weather would be more predictable. The other family has been to Moab and Arches, so they have ruled that out.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then I am back to my original post. Excellent hotels in Vail, Breckenridge, and Keystone and mostly likely at a good discount. Vail would have the most action. Mid-May would provide excellent white water rafting. Could do a day trip to Glenwood Springs and the huge outdoor, heated pool -- hot spring. Or even a trip to Aspen.

The Standley Hotel in Estes would be relaxing but less to do. You could spend some time in Boulder.

Good luck ---
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll piggyback this onto the original post, as it's in the same vein. A few of us college chums are planning a gettogether for July in the Denver area. We are women in our early 50s.

Any ideas for a place near good restaurants and a few choice sightseeing venues?
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This would be by choice:

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...ch/Default.htm

While the property is spectacular, I must admit that the real draw is
"Bachelor"
Loan-a-Lab program with Bachelor, our resident Yellow Labrador Retriever .

OMG, is he cute or what??

Deb

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 130 miles from Denver, it hardy qualifies as in the Denver area.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I was replying more to OP than the second person adding on to thread.

I would go 130 miles for the pooch factor!

Deb
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 07:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I disagree with Estes Park being sleepy in April and May. It's not deserted and most all shops and restaurants are open. In fact it's a great time if you don't like huge crowds.

True, Trail Ridge Rd won't be open all the way, but there are still plenty of places in the park to hike.

Sue
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would propose Colorado Springs - unless that is too close to Denver. Of course it's about an hour south. Broadmor is a beautiful hotel, and I think there is plenty of good areas to hike and site see in the area (Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, 7 Falls). My 15 year old daughter fell in love with Manitou Springs, and just walking around the town. We went there over Spring break last year and the whole family enjoyed themselves.