Report on Sedona trip 10/05

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Report on Sedona trip 10/05

Thanks to all my Fodor friends; we had a wonderful trip! We didn't catch 'red rock fever' (i.e. what the locals claim happens to folks who visit & decide on the spot to move to Sedona!)-- but we definetly would like to go back. We did a number of day hikes (moderate level), but our favorite was the West Fork Trail through Oak Creek Canyon -- Wow! We chose the Red Rock Jeep Tour, and it was great -- the guide was very knowledgable and entertaining, and it wasn't a white-knuckle bone-jarring experience! I rode along with my hubby when he played golf in Prescott Valley at Stone Ridge golf course -- a VERY spread out course, the ride in the cart was a thrill -- up and down steep hills! Play was pretty slow, though. We also went horseback riding -- I wouldn't do that again, mainly because the guide was terrible, and the horses were so docile I felt like I was on a pony ride at a fair. Up and down a scrubby mountain with views that, in Sedona terms, were very unspectacular. After 5 days in Sedona, we drove up to the GC for a day trip. Of course it was awesome to look at, but it was only when we hiked about 1/4 mile down into it that its grandeur really began to register -- wish we'd arranged a mule trip to the bottom! We also visited Jerome and drove through Cottonwood. Jerome is mildly interesting - an old town built into the side of a hill -- lots of tiny art shops -- but the best part was driving back to Sedona at sunset and seeing the red rock come alive ahead of us. As to restaurants, we were staying at a lovely house of a friend and had most of our meals there. We did, however, at the recommendation of the friend, eat at a local bar -- PJs sports bar in Oak Creek. The food was great, and the clientel was definetly 'locals' - nice folks, not a typical bar crowd. Dinner specials everyday -- hubby had their fish & chips on a Friday and said it rivaled that we'd had in London. Non-smokers beware - there is NO non-smoking area, although the ventilation was excellent and there wasn't a 'haze' of smoke like you find in some bars. (No one under 21 allowed, either). This was the best vacation we've ever had!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Sharon:

Nice report! I'm glad you enjoyed Sedona & the GC. Thanks for filling us in.

MY
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Sharon,

Very nice trip report. Did you do the hike around Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte? Did you visit the chapel of the holy cross?

If not, those are more things for you to do on your next trip.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:13 AM

I love PJ's!! Don't let the secret out! My folks rent a condo in the development right by PJ's & me & my husband went there quite a bit in the evenings. It is definitely a "local" hang out!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we did visit Chapel of the Cross and hiked around Bell Rock & Courthouse...wasn't that impressed with the Chapel (maybe it was the commercial aspects of the gift shop and the $1 to light a candle)--expected a more reverent experience.
Re: PJs -- we were staying in Oak Creek golf community, so it was right around the corner for us, too. We saw havelina pigs in the neighborhood our first night --but never again.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Sharon:

My daughter had the same reaction about the Chapel: "Gee, this isn't very fancy like Catholic Churches usually are". My only explanation to her was that the Chapel was made simple inside as to not take away from the outside. The focus is to be on the view, not the decoration inside. The materials seemed to be on the more natural side: wood, metal, stone, to blend in with the outside. As far as $1 for candles, it is common on Catholic Churches to give a donation for candle lighting, but it is not required. Here in California, most Missions have gift shops selling religious/Catholic items, so I guess it goes with the territory of being a tourist site also.

Glad you had a great trip. Truly a beautiful part of the country.

MY