Rentals in Maine?

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rentals in Maine?

Hi - We're renting this summer June 08' and are curious about the Southwest Harbor area. What should we know that they won't tell us? In terms of: EVERYTHING!!! We're first timers to the area so we need all the "need-to-knows"!!!!!! And where do people swim that time of year anyway?
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:18 PM

"Maine, An Explorer's Guide" is a superb resource for visiting Maine.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:36 AM

where do people swim in Maine in June? swimming pools....heated ones!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

China-cat - very funny! I know it's swimming pools. I was looking for an alternative - LIKE A BEACH!!!!!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM

sorry...just being sarcastic.

I assume you know that ocean swimming up there is always cold, and will be basically impossible in June. In August it will be possible to go swimming at Sand Beach.

I know there are some popular lake beaches. In particular there is a beach on Echo Lake near Southwest Harbor that is very pretty. What I don't know is what the water temperature is like in June. Maybe someone else can help?
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

China-Cat - Now that's more like it (guess it's my turn to be sarcastic-LOL!). Sadly, I can only do the rental in June (approx. 3rd week) since OUR vacation revolves around our daughter's summer camp schedule. I remember being in Maine one summer as a camp counselor and found August to be frigid. Guess I'll just have to PRAY hard for a heat wave!!!!
Oddly enough, the home I'm focusing on is in the Southwest Harbor. Any tips there??? And how about that free bus I hear so much about?
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM

I've stayed in Bass Harbor which is further down the island. I do like the west side of the island, the so-called "quiet side". Its very pretty and definitely more laid back. Drive down to see Bass Harbor light and walk the nature trails around there, its lovely and will be totally uncrowded.

But I don't know much specifically about Southwest harbor. And we've been to Acadia 3 times and always drove everywhere we needed to go, never used the buses.

I did write a trip report from my last trip which was in '05, we stayed in Bar Harbor. You can find some activities and restaurant recos here:
http://tinyurl.com/352b6b

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM

The only time I have been in the ocean in Maine was in August (maybe near Boothbay Harbor). I went in to my neck and swam out so my dad could get a picture of me swimming in the Atlantic. I froze!!!!!

I have been swimming in a couple of ponds in August without feeling too cold.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Bigtyke - I have the same memory of Maines waters, albeit it was $$ years ago when I was a young lassy counselling campers in Naples on Lake Sebago! It was the one and only time I was in water and had smoke coming out of my mouth!!!!!!

China-Cat - thanks for the tips and I'll have a look see on that trip report.

Keep em coming!
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:16 PM

travelbuff,
I swam at Sand Beach the week of July 4 one year. I think SW Harbor is very nice. It is away from the activity of Bar Harbor and I think they call it the quiet side. Although the end of June will be quiet anyway in Acadia.

I believe the free bus goes just through Acadia, and does not go to SW Harbor. There is a stop in Bar Harbor and it stops at all of the major places within the park. http://www.exploreacadia.com/ You may want to check when it starts running in 2008. Have fun.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:21 PM

Correction - it looks like the bus DOES go to SW Harbor.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Janewb - thanks so much. I had a look see on Sand Beahc and I'm thinking a) that is still too cold for me never mind my 4 yr old and b) we'll be there in mid-June so it will still be cool. Now I'm thinking possibly Echo Lake might be a better option for some possible swimming? Anyone have any thoughts?
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:25 AM

Let's face it; water is cold in Maine, no mater if it's a spring fed lake or the ocean. Many people swim in June, but they've got a stronger heart than I do. And, I don't care when you visit Maine, you're taking a chance that it could be rainy, foggy and cold.

Southwest Harbor is great. You will love it. The bus runs there. If you bring or rent a bike, you can put it on the bus. It's lots of fun. The Southwest side is called, "the quiet side of the island."

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Brutforce

ttt