Reload this Page >

rental car drop charges

Search

rental car drop charges

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:29 AM
lmsa_mc

rental car drop charges

We would like to rent a car in Phoenix and drop it off in San Francisco. Flying into one place and out another seems so easy and reasonable but the rental car costs to do this are out of the question.

Any advice? Maybe I'm missing something.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:43 AM
r-travels

How about being a driver for an auto transport service? Try http://www.autodriveawaydc.com/carlist.html where you drive the car from one city to another. I've not used the service, but I do see where they have some cars in Phoenix that must be delivered to CA. (no x in my e-ddress)

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:49 AM
George

Did you check all the major car-rental companies?

We did a one-way from LA to San Francisco last year, and there was no drop-off charge. Can't remember the company, though. I do vividly remember that it was a fire-engine red Camaro convertible--the only way to travel Hwy 1 on the Central Coast...

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:49 PM
lani

have you checked national? a couple of years ago we picked up a car at LAX and dropped it off in albuquerque with no additional charge. AND the car plate said it was from washington state!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Don

If you're talking the April-June timeframe, you're in luck. Lots of rental agencies want to move cars from Arizona and Florida to other places at that time of year, so they offer one-way rentals with no dropoff charges.

Here's Avis's Web page that describes their deal for picking up a car in Phoenix/Tucson and dropping it off in California:

https://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/JSP/US/en/deals/us_oneway_ac.jsp

I'm sure other agencies have similar deals, so be sure to check around if price is a concern (although Avis's prices look reasonable).

Hope this helps!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:16 AM
George

For kicks, I checked Avis for PHX-SFO. There's no drop-off charge.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:28 AM
topping

To the top...