Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Reno to San Franciso Itinerary Suggestions Please...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 1999, 11:48 AM
C. Duke

My wife and I have planned a week-long April trip to San Franciso, but we're also considering a two-day escursion between Reno, Nevada & San Francisco.--Can anyone please suggest a romantic bed and breakfast inn between the two, possibly in wine country? Also, where can we dine and what other attractions should we be sure and see? What is the best scenic route between the two? How long is the drive?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 08:56 AM
Monica Richards

The wine country isn't located between San Francisco and Reno--perhaps you mean the Gold Country? I've never stayed in a B & B there, but I know there are some. To get to Reno from San Francisco, you take Hwy 80--it's about a four to five hour drive. To get to the Gold country where the B & Bs are you would take a detour in Sacramento down highway 50. Of course, then you'd have to drive around Lake Tahoe to get to Reno. What is your goal in going to Reno anyhow? It's kind of a cheesy town, a little run-down and dated. With only a week in SF, it wouldn't be high on my list of places to go. I would recommend a trip to the wine country and the coast instead.

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 02:08 PM
Cal Duke

Thanks, Monica!

Guess I had my geography wrong...Perhaps I should skip Reno. Tell me more about your suggestions in wine country.- - A hot air balloon ride appeals to me, or maybe a bike ride. Overnignt accommodations at a quality B&B would also be desirable.

Appreciatively,

Cal Duke

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 03:25 PM
Monica Richards

Go to www.napavalley.com for a pretty comprehensive listing of B & Bs and balloon rides in Napa Valley. I just got back from a weekend in the Mendocino/ Ft. Bragg area along the coast about 4 hours north of SF. I just love it there. We stay at the Noyo River Lodge in Ft. Bragg, and I highly recommend it. The Anderson Valley that you pass through to get there has some great wineries. However, it is quite a drive. In the Napa Valley, I would recommend a stay at the Ink House, and a dinner at Tra Vigne if you can get in. Also the culinary academy has really great food as well. You could take tours of a big winery or two, and then switch to the smaller ones for those one-of-a-kind, can't find them in the stores, wines.

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 04:48 PM
kam

Agree with Monica. Forget Reno (unless you must go for the gambling) and do SF and the Wine Country, either Napa or Sonoma. You'll find lots of suggestions on these forums for places to stay in the wine country. Lots of romance there, not in Reno! Our favorite is the Madrona Inn in Healdsburg,(Sonoma Co.) but there are lots more.