relocation to California from Canada

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
relocation to California from Canada

I will be relocating to California from Canada in about a years time. In order to dertemine what standard of living I can afford, can anyone tell me approximately what percentage of tax (state and federal or however it works) I will pay on about $35 000 - 45 000?
cherrytree is offline  
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 45,322
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About 8% or so (state)I believe. Hopefully someone else here can be more precise.

What part of Canada are you in? I had friends from Canada(originally from England) that moved to California due to work with the intention of returning to Canada within five years. They never did, they loved California, especially the weather. I hope you like it here too.

One thing I might ask is, have you checked out the cost of housing in California? It is very very expensive. A lot of people from other areas go into sticker shock with the realestate prices here (sales and rentals). If you have not looked into this you might like to go to to get an idea of what you will be facing.
LoveItaly is offline  
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,879
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At that income level, federal income tax will be in the 15-20% range, assuming a standard deduction (as opposed to itemized deductions) and no dependants. Social security tax is 6.2% of earned income if you are salaried and 12.4% if you are an independant contractor, on all earned income up to $90,000 in 2005. Medicare tax is 1.45% (salaried) or 2.9% (independant contractor) of earned income with no upper limit.

The state of California has a sliding income tax scale and I would guess at that income level, your tax rate will be in the 5-6% range.

If you look at the tax tables from the federal or state government and, as an example, you are in the 28% bracket for federal, that does not mean you pay 28% of all your income. Both California state and federal or on a sliding scale so you pay lower taxes on your first taxable dollars and higher rates as your income increases.

Not so for Social security and Medicare. You pay the stated percentages on all earned income.

I made a distinction between earned income and taxable income. State and federal taxes are levied on most sources of income (wages, interest, dividends, capitol gains, etc). Social Security and medicare are levied on only earned income (wages).
dwooddon is offline  
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:20 AM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,869
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The actual information for 2004 is available at:
Federal click forms and publications and enter instructions 1040 2004

State do a google California state income tax there are 3 or 4 links on the first page

mikemo is offline  
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:02 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,466
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't forget health care too. if your employer isn't covering it, i think my premium was about $300/month.
ltt is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
United States
May 26th, 2008 04:44 AM
United States
Dec 26th, 2006 02:00 PM
Apr 13th, 2006 12:52 PM
May 2nd, 2004 09:16 AM
Tom Cavannaugh
United States
Jan 7th, 2003 09:00 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -