Reload this Page >

relocating to vermont?

Search

relocating to vermont?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 06:16 AM
fred

relocating to vermont?

My husband and three boys and I want to relocate to Vermont. We want the quaint village scene (no K-Wall-Mart, malls), but close enough to good hospitals, schools, a good university with graduate programs. Is this Utopia or what?? What section of the state is for us. Oh, by the way, we are southerners. I fear we would freeze in the northern part. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 07:29 AM
B&J Sold Out

Yes, you're being a little Utopian and you're going to freeze anyway, for at least the first year. But bear in mind than northern houses are much better insulated than southern ones and that just as you go from airconditioned house to airconditioned car to airconditioned business in the south in summer, you'll go from heated building to heated car, etc. And you'll be amazed at how well northern communities know how to clear the roads quickly compared to southern cities that are paralyzed with one flake.

But do learn how to drive in/on snow -- get expert advice, it's a special skill (slow up way before traffic lights, start up slowly, etc.).

Now then, the Burlington area is what you want, despite your disclaimer about not wanting to be up north. It has most of what you want, although there's a KMart or so. Otherwise, consider the areas in Vermont just over the line from Hanover (Dartmouth) or the Mass./NH corner.

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 09:38 AM
ALF

There are lots of quaint villages in the western foothills of the Green Mtns, east of Burlington. This gives you access to X-Marts, UVM (Universit of Vt), and good hospitals, while still living in a quiet place. I really like the Jericho/Underhill area, lying near the base of Mt. Mansfield. The Hinesburg/Rockville area a bit to the south is also nice.
-------------------
As mentioned above, its not a heck of a lot warmer in the north part of the state, compared to the south. There are still going to be those couple of weeks a year when the temperature doesn't seem able to climb above 0 degrees (F), and there will also be a couple of blizzards each year. Its a beautifull place though, and we talk about moving back there periodically, but then I remember that its hard to find a decent job. What will you do for work? That seems to me to be Vt's biggest problem.

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 03:59 PM
betsy

Definately the Burlington area. I spent four years there at UVM and I am yearning to go back. The towns of Underhill/Jerhico are great suggestions. Shelburne and Charlotte are also very beautiful. South Burlington/Williston/Essex are the most "built-up" towns in the area (WalMart, Home Depot etc.). It's a truly beautiful area: close to skiing, Lake Champlain, hiking, biking, etc. Burlington has great restaraunts, shopping, nightlife, with out all the hustle and bustle of a large city. I suggest going to visit before you make your decision, and go in the winter, so you'll know what to expect. Good luck!

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 08:36 AM
dougd

Fred, I did exactly what you are thinking of, 20 years ago. We moved to a tiny village in western New Hampshire, got horses, sheep, chikens, the whole mini farm bit. We moved up from south jersey, and it would really be a nightmare for us to ever have to move back. Some cautions: the winters are very long. If you don't take up skiing or some other winter sport, you'll wind up being a couch potato or an alcoholic. The alcoholism rate is surprisingly high in Northern New England. The cost of living is higher than you might expect. Appliances, groceries, cars, etc.are usually more expensive up here. You will probably also take a cut in pay. We really had to cut corners our first few years in the north country! If you want to live in the country, it really helps to be as self sufficient as possible, especially with things like auto repair, home maintenance, etc. Also, carefully scout out different towns you are considering. Some are very 'liberal and new agey', others are very conservative and blue collar - whatever floats your boat! I could write a book about our mishaps and experiences raising our family and running our small farm, but I wouldn't trade it for a beach house in Hawaii! As mentioned above, Burligton Vt. is a great small city, but it does have it's share of strip malls and traffic. I would choose living on the outskirts of a small college town such as Middlebury Vt, Hanover, NH, Brunswick Maine, etc. If you need any more info, feel free to e-mail me!

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 10:19 AM
charles

Vermont is absolutely wonderful. Burlington often gets rated as one of the best cities to live in the US, and for good reason. It is also barely a city - I believe it has all of 30-50,000 people - ie. a new york city block. Its basically a large college town. Housing prices can be quite low in Vermont if you are used to urban areas.

So somewhere near Burlington is probably the place to be. Downside - it's cold. Really cold. That's why I don't live there. But it makes no difference between the south and the North of the state - it's all COLD! Beautiful in the summer and fall, but the winters can be hard to take. Think deeply about how you feel about long cold winters. And if you do decide, live some place around burlington. You can be quite convenient to the "city" and still have more cows than people around.

Did I mention it was cold in the winter?
And that, that said, I love Vermont?

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 11:00 AM
GOL

What type of work do you need to find? Or is finding work not a problem?

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 06:56 AM
nancy

Fred,
Without sounding too "mean", please, if you do move up here, PLEASE leave behind all your expectations that life up here in Vermont will just be a quieter, and prettier version of where ever you are coming from.
I have lived in Vermont for 30 yrs now, my husband was born here in the 1950's.
Over the past 30 yrs the population of this state has grown from around 470,000 to over 650,000
In the last 15 years especially,this state has been inundated with people moving in from city areas, and unfortunately bringing their attitudes and expectations with them.
Example;
a family who moved into a new house that was built nearby a large family farm.
Then tried to sue the farmer because the smell and the flies from the farm
bothered them and affected "their quality of life" !!!!!!!!
People who stand in line at the local store and then start to complain because there is only one cashier to assist them.
"Vermonters" who are very aggressive and drive too fast on the roads up here, especially dirt roads.
I could go on and on with the changes that I have seen in the last decade or so.
And I do realize that even longtime Vermonters can behave in this manner.

But, it is painful to watch the changes that are occuring in this state, and are mostly due to some who move up here with unrealistic expectations.

That being said, South-east Vermont
is very nice place to be (I moved up here 30 yrs ago to go to college, and never left)
It is much more developed now, but not like Burlington.
There is a large number of artists, craft people, in this area.
The food coop is great, and there are enough activities going on that you would not feel "culturally starved"
But, unless you are self-employed, or are very 'marketable" there aren't alot of jobs available, except for low-end, service related type jobs.
Good luck with your decision.

To;
B&J sold out.
You are SO correct!!

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 04:32 PM
E

Just returned from a ski trip to Vt.
By the way, my husband is 61yo, a bookish fellow, & he just learned to ski! Try the Manchester area; it is in the south west corner--Dorset is supposed to be quaint. There are outlets but it is classy & fairly quaint. The areas near Stratton are beautiful. Bennington College is closeby & Williamstown (williams college) under an hour. Then in the summer within 1 hr 15 min are the Berkshires--Tanglewood etc. Vt is cold everywhere.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:19 AM
lisa

A friend of mine left Washington DC for Burlington VT several years ago. He moved there sight unseen and absolutely loves it.