Reload this Page >

Relocating to Portland

Search

Relocating to Portland

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 04:46 PM
Kathleen

Relocating to Portland

Hi, I have been offered a job in Portland. I am a Southern California native but am ready for a change. What is this city like for a professional single woman in her mid 30's? Thanks.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 06:11 PM
Sam

Portland or Seattle? which is it?

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 06:39 PM
John

YUMMY!

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 09:05 PM
Kathleen

I've been offered jobs both in Portland and Seattle and I'm just trying to decide which city would be better suited for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 11:33 PM
Jeannine

I have lived in Oregon for years and now in Washington. Never lived in either of these cities but of course have visited them a number of times. I myself prefer Seattle as it is more scenic and has water all around it. Great if you like to kayak. More parks too. Portland has less population though and weather...it may be somewhat less overcast on the whole.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 07:13 PM
kate

I think Seattle is a much more hip and relaxed city. The people are much less pretentious in Seattle than Portland and the city is beautiful, especially in the summer.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 12:06 AM
MoebiusTrip

Portland = Town
less expensive, friendly, easy to commute, and less traffic to battle.
Like Seattle was 25 years ago.

Seattle = City
more expensive, friendly, traffic and parking is tiresome. More restaurants, culture, events, and politics....

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Janie

Isn't Portland kind of rednecky conservative to a large extent? I'd check that out unless you are conservative, also.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Jeff

Since when are conservatives necessarily rednecks? There are many professional people in Portland now and it continues to grow with even more.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 05:56 PM
TJ

But where do the single professionals go to meet one another? I'm not really into the bar scene, so I'm looking for some other options.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 08:37 AM
topper

topper

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:28 PM
E

Actually, Portland is quite liberal. It's also a beautiful town to live in with mountains and beach only a couple hours drive away.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:59 PM
Tom

Any good companies in the Portland area for a professional to work for? I'm a financial analyst and am looking for a good solid company to work for. And it wouldn't be bad to find one that treats their employees nicely. Any suggestions?

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 11:10 AM
xxx

Nike might be a good company to look into for employment. It's headquartered in Portland, but to be honest, I don't know how they are to work for.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 04:25 PM
xx

Nike sounds like a fun place to work - anyone with friends or family working there? Should I check into a move to Portland?

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 09:47 PM
Wynie

Wasn't Portland just ranked as the most livable city in the US? It must have something going for it.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 11:47 PM
ldsant

So, which did you select? I live in SEA and the traffic and housing prices are getting really annoying (I've lived here for 11 years now). The biggest difference? Portland PLANNED for growth, Seattle didn't. Both cities are lovely though.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 07:54 AM
Stephen

Tough choice bewteen Seattle and Portland. Seattle is a great city and has the water, but also has the traffic, high real estate costs, etc. Portland is smaller and more inland, but does offer more affordability. Maybe less is more.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:04 PM
Topper

Topper for Katherine

Old May 27th, 2001, 08:19 PM
Craig

I am a San Franciscan who visited Portland recently and was very impressed with the city. City planning is a BIG deal in Portland and it shows. Like SF, Portland has boomed in recent years. Unlike SF, Portland has handled the population increase and resulting chnages with intelligence. I have also been to Seattle and found it to be the worst of both world--that is, no longer a small, liveable city like Portland, but also not in the league with truly sophisticated urban centers like San Francisco or Chicago. My reaction to Seattle was "what's all the fuss about".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -