Redwoods in Mid March?

Search

Redwoods in Mid March?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redwoods in Mid March?

My husband and I are visiting his brother outside of Oakland for one week this month. Besides seeing the sites in San Francisco area we'd like to get away for a special night or two. Is this a good time to see the redwoods? I'm looking for a rustic/elegant type place, with excellent food. Higher end ok. Looked at Manka's Inverness Lodge, but it doesn't seem open because of the fire.
We come from upstate new york, so no snow please. Any ideas??
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
Wm

Might I suggest a stay at the Farmhouse Inn & Spa near Forestville in Sonoma County. The on-site restaurant is fantastic. Here's the website: http://www.farmhouseinn.com/ From the inn, you can drive River Road to Guerneville, go to Armstrong Grove Park & experience a beautiful stand of old-growth redwoods, a pretty creek & great walking trails. You could drive out to the coast to Jenner & lunch at River's End as you watch the seals &, if you get lucky, see some grey whales spouting off-shore. Another wonderful fine-dining restaurant & inn, Applewood Inn, http://www.applewoodinn.com/ right in Guerneville. The Applewood is running a March special for lodging and dining--check it out!

For those of you reading this post & thinking about visiting Sonoma County, be aware of the Horizon Air flights from LA & Seattle directly to Sonoma County Airport starting in a couple of weeks--no more hassles coming up from San Francisco & fighting 101 traffic!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:32 AM

Why not Healdsburg? Hotel Healdsburg or Hotel Mars...The Madrona Mannor... all three great hotels. The town of Healdsburg is charming...shops, restaurants, wine tasting...etc. Cyrus is one of the best restaurants around. Not too far out of town in Guerneville are the Armstrong woods..beautiful redwoods with hiking etc. AND we have no snow!!!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:00 AM

"The redwoods" are beautiful any time of year. March, being the beginning of the end of the rainy season, brings out fungi and moss galore, adding to the rainforest effect. This has been a drier winter, but bring appropriate hiking shoes in case the trails are slippery.

I'm in agreement with combining the Armstrong Woods trip with a drive out to the coast. The coast between Jenner and Bodega Bay is stunning. Goat Rock Beach would be a good choice for a stop - it's where the Russian River flows into the ocean. The coast north of Jenner going towards Fort Ross (reconstructed Russian trading post from the 1800's) is even more dramatic, but has major cliffhanging curves.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Hi,
I have to agree with dovima. My husband & I went to Armstrong Woods Sunday (2 days ago) and then drove down the coast. It is absolutely breathtaking!! Just remember to bring a sweater or jacket for the forest- it was quite chilly. Have a great time!