Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 12:50 PM
pati

Redwood National Park & Eureka

Hi,
Has anyone here ever ventured into
the north CA cities of Eureka/Arcata
for the Redwood National Park?

How accessible is this park and the trails?
Are there any scenic beaches nearby?

I've not seen the giant redwoods, yet
and was wondering if this was a more
scenic trip than the Columbia Gorge/Mt. Hood
excursion.
Thanks

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:31 PM
Samantha

Hi Pati,

I lived in Arcata for 4 years. While I never went to the Redwood National Park, several people I know who did really enjoyed it. Sorry I can't give you specifics about the park/trails/beach for that spot, but I can tell you about a few special spots I did go to.

Patrick's Point State Park, about a half hour ride north of Arcata, is really nice. There are trails that wander through the woods, eventually leading to a gorgeous ocean view. I still smile when I look at the pictures I took from that area - breathtaking!

Highway 101 from just a bit north of Patrick's Point to Orick hugs the coast, with beautiful views and a few spots to pull over and enjoy the ocean (which is too cold to swim in at ANY time of year!).

Trinidad Head (exit off of 101 at the sign for Trinidad, turn left, go past a grocery store on the left and stay on the winding road about half a mile) offers a nice view - the little bay dotted with boats on the left, the ocean with jagged rocks coming out of the water on the right.

There's a stretch of giant redwoods, on either side of 101, a few hours south of Eureka, but north of Willits, I believe it is. I'm not exactly sure of the location, but maybe someone else familiar with the area can tell you exactly where they are. The redwoods are certainly a wonderful sight to behold.

Are you planning on staying overnight in the Arcata/Eureka area? If so, I can give you some suggestions for restaurants (Italian, Chinese, and Mexican) that have excellent food. In both towns, there are the standard chain hotels right on 101 or off of an exit, but within sight of the highway. My suggestion would be to stay in Arcata, though. At the south end of Eureka, where most of the hotels are, is the paper mill - which gives off a not so pleasant aroma at times! ;-)

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:32 PM
pati

Thx, how would you compare this
scenery with say the Columbia
Gorge/Mt. Hound?
I'm thinking Redwoods NP is
not as accessible.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:31 PM
Samantha

I know nothing of the Columbia Gorge or Mount Hood/Hound area you're referring to - never heard of them, even living in CA for 4 years.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:09 AM
gail

I think your suspicion is right. Eureka and Arcada are rugged. Long drives to get from one spot to another. The Columbia is a journey. The moss and fern on the roadside is incredible. They are both beautiful, but different.