Red Rocks Amphitheatre

May 13th, 2019, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Red Rocks Amphitheatre

We'll be staying a week in Breckenridge in August and attending a concert at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre on Tues Aug 20th. We planned on arriving early in the day to hike the park, picnic, and just hang out until the concert starts. I'm now realizing we will have to leave the park as it closes early on concert days. Should we still come early and visit in the morning? And then do what for the few hours in between?

Also, on the fence about which seats to buy. We want to be able to take in the Denver lights and scene behind the stage, so we know we need to be up some. How far? Row 35? 40? 45?

Thanks!
May 15th, 2019, 06:25 AM

There are a number of attractions in the surrounding area. In Golden is the Coors brewery and railroad museum. You could park in Golden and take the light rail into downtown Denver for a few hours and return. Denver Botanical garden at Chatfield is a pleasant break.
May 15th, 2019, 06:33 AM

I'm not sure what seats to recommend. Red Rocks is awesome, no matter what. You do need to climb up and down the stairs-- there's not a 'people mover' like at the Hollywood Bowl. So keep that in mind, if your foresee many trips to buy refreshments or bathrooms.

You could consider going to The Fort for dinner before the show. I see they have Red Rocks concert specials. Not sure if the timing works. But it's a fun place.
https://thefort.com

Or, go to the town of Morrison and find a place to grab a bite.
https://town.morrison.co.us/Facilities?clear=False

Or, visit the nearby town of Golden

Last edited by MoBro; May 15th, 2019 at 06:37 AM.
May 15th, 2019, 06:48 AM

MoBro has great ideas--particularly the Fort. It is one of a kind for food and view, IMO.
And Morrison is chock a block with good places to eat.
May 15th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all!

I called Red Rocks today and got clarification about "having to leave the park" after lunchtime on event days. The trails do remain open, but all parking lots close (and you have to leave) except for the Lower South parking lot. Just adding this in here in case others have the same question in the future!

We probably will get dinner nearby, and perhaps explore Golden if we head to the area early. Thanks for the suggestion of The Fort! Looks interesting! My husband has fond memories of Casa Bonita from 30 years ago but we looked at reviews and..... yuck.
May 15th, 2019, 03:45 PM

People don't go to Casa Bonita for the food And if they do, they quickly learn why they shouldn't.
May 16th, 2019, 02:31 AM

OH no. Don't go to Casa Bonita unless you have 5 year old grandchildren in tow!!
May 16th, 2019, 05:59 AM

Case Bonita is a classic institution -- one of a kind -- in fact -- the last of it kind. Nothing will have changed in 30 years. It was the first place we ate when passing through Denver in '79. Recommended by the Mobile Guide (remember those ???). Not what we expected. Less than nine months later we moved to Denver.
May 16th, 2019, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
OH no. Don't go to Casa Bonita unless you have 5 year old grandchildren in tow!!
Yes, we quickly realized that after reading reviews! My husband and 23 yr old son are flying into Denver tomorrow for a father/son week in Colorado Springs, and my husband got all excited at his 30 yr old "memory" of Casa Bonita and wanted to take our son. We even got excited when we saw the schedule of the divers, and gorilla, pirate, etc. HAHA!! What were we thinking? It's not like our son is a kid anymore! He's 23!! Bad food, cheesy shows, run down place... thank goodness for online reviews!
May 16th, 2019, 07:47 AM

We ate here last time in Morrison--ate on the patio and enjoyed it a lot.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Colorado.html
May 16th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
We ate here last time in Morrison--ate on the patio and enjoyed it a lot.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Colorado.html
That looks like our kind of place! Thanks Gretchen!