Red Rock Tour Sedona

Search

Red Rock Tour Sedona

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Rock Tour Sedona

I just came across a site for Red Rock Tours in Sedona. They have private, customized tours for about $35 per person. Has anyone used them? Are they worthwhile? Can we see and experience a lot in about 2-3 hours? Since we are not sure about the roughness of the Pink Jeep tour, we thought a customized tour might be better. Any thoughts are appreciated.

We will be in Sedona in March. Husband, me and 3 kids (21, 18, 15)
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 10:35 AM
nlg

We went on the Pink Jeep tour several years ago and did not think it was too rough. We were in our fifties at the time. We went on one of the first tours of the morning and we were the only people on the tour so we had a private tour. We loved Sedona and would love to do another Pink Jeep tour if we ever return.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM

I think you could just drive around and do your own tour.

Does the tour mention where they take you? Is this like the Pink Jeep Tour that goes over to Broken Arrow?

I would just stop at the visitors center near the Y and get some maps and info. They are very helpful.

I would encourage you to hike. You get great red rock views and you would all have a great time. The hikes are not difficult and the red rock view from the trails are amazing.

We took the Pink Jeep Tour since it was so highly rated but I think that since we had hiked I was somewhat disappointed. My kids would have liked it. You definitely want to get on a trail and if you don't hike, you would probably want to do the jeep tour

Look at www.hikearizona.com for some hiking suggestions. We really enjoyed Doe Mountain--when you get to the top(it's a mesa),walk to the edges of the mesa for great views. Brins Mesa is beautiful hike with scenic expansive views. We were on some trails that were not really well marked. You need to follow the cairns(piles of rocks to help direct hikers) that hikers have set up--some are even caged. Pick up a map at the visitors center to find the trailheads.

You would also enjoy lunch on the patio at the Enchantment Resort. You can hike Boynton Canyon--there is a vortex there, eat lunch and then head down the street to hike Doe Mountain. The drive out to the Enchantment on Dry Creek Rd. is beautiful. You can stop at Red Rock Crossing on your way back.

If it's warm enough for swimming, families seem to enjoy Slide Rock State Park. Take water shoes. We were there in the winter so didn't visit.

We totally enjoyed Sedona but the town is a disappointment. Great hiking tough and great scenery.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks nlg and LindainOhio
The reason I was looking at Red Rock Tours is because we would have control over where we went and the type of terrain. We would like to hike also so I appreciate the trail suggestions.
LindainOhio, what is the difficulty of the trails you mentioned? Length of hike?

What do you know about the location of Best Western Arroyo Roble? I know it's in or near town -- is it congested or will we still have good views?

Thanks!
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

P.S. What kind of shoes should we bring for easy to moderate hiking? Do we all need hiking boots or will gym/running shoes be sufficient?
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Hi Julie:

I'm jealous that you're going to Sedona, DW & I just love it there.

I would agree with LindainOhio in that if you are fit enough to hike you may find it much more rewarding than a jeep tour. Here is a website I found very useful for hiking:

http://www.greatsedonahikes.com/

Hiking shoes are useful, though not essential, because the trails can be rocky, and good hiking shoes do help to keep your feet from getting sore. I like Merrell shoes the best, but I think Keen is pretty good too. Merrells seem to be cut wider, which is better for me. But plenty of people hike with just running shoes, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

These are a few of our favorites:

Cathedral Rock
Brin's Mesa
Devil's Bridge
Coffee Pot Rock / Sugarloaf

There are lots more that we haven't done. It's so beautiful there, just make sure you get out and hike.

Also, the sunset at Airport Mesa is amazing.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, smetz. Don't really want to outfit 5 of us in hiking boots...although I have keens sandals which are pretty good for easy hiking.
Any thoughts on the Best Western Arroyo Roble? Good location? Deciding between that and Sky Ranch Lodge and are thinking we might want a few amenities with 3 older kids.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 06:03 PM

I didn't see the Best Western when I was there, so I can't comment, though I know it get's very high marks on reviews. I did notice Sky Ranch Lodge when we went up to Airport Mesa for the sunset. Nothing too fancy, but the location is very nice, almost on top of the mesa. With kids, though, the amenities may come in very handy. And the other thing to keep in mind is that when you're out and around in Sedona, the views are all around you, all the time. So having a view where you stay is not necessary.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, smetz...good point about the views being all around. I'm thinking the Best Western which includes full breakfast might just be the way to go.
Anything else we should do or see other than the hiking?
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 06:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I was in Sedona 5 years ago.

The town itself was nothing more than t-short store, art galleries and restaurants that close at 9PM.

However, the surrounding Red Rocks are amazing. So if you just go to visit the town, I wouldn't.

Unless things have changed, Pink Jeep and the National Park Service maintain the Broken Arrow tour road jointly so only Pink Jeep was permitted to use it. I hiked it and was ammused by the people on the tours that passed me.

The view of Cathedral rock over Oak Creek from the Crescent Moon picnic area is the absolute best sunset sight in or near the town. I went there one evening and the next evening I went to the Mesa Airport. There's a reason Sedona used the Picnic Area photo on there promo literature. Absolutely beautiful.

You can go to the site Julie mentions above for a selection of Sedona area hikes.

My favorites were:
Boynton Canyon Vista.
This is a Vortex sight. Not the full and boring Boynton Canyon hike. The Vista is a detour near the start of the full hike.

Devil's Bridge
Bell Rock area
Broken Arrow

I did a few more but don't remember them all.

I stayed at the BW Inn of Sedona. It had been newly renovated. It's near the "Y" and right across the main road that leads up to the airport. The place is up a short hill so you don't have road noise. The main level is the top level and it goes down from there. Some of the rooms (I had one of them) have two doors. One door goes out into the parking lot and the other goes out to a large shared patio directly facing Chimney Rock. Fantastic view. That was 5 years ago so I don't know what it's like now.

You can see my photos at:
www.travelwalks.com

Select the 2007 hike that includes Sedona.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I have never taken the Jeep tours but see them often when I am hiking in Sedona. The drivers like to do daredevil turns, go up steep embankments and the passengers scream a lot, not my idea of fun. A private Jeep might be the way to go for your family.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 09:35 AM

I am also considering Sedona in March. We will have about a week and also want to spend some time in Saguaro National Park. About how much time would spend in each?
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks HappyTrvlr....an honest opinion is appreciated! It sounds a bit like a roller coaster ride which is definitely not my cup of tea! I'm waiting for a response from Red Rock re a private jeep ride/tour in addition to some of our own hiking.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 11:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with HappyTrvlr,

The Pink Jeeps that passed me were terrorizing the passengers. But they were still having a good time.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Another nod to HappyTrvlr. When we hiked Devil's Bridge, we drove to the closest parking area before hiking about a mile to a mile & a half to get to the bridge. The road to get there to the parking lot was about the rockiest I've ever been on, and we probably averaged under 5mph. As we were driving back out after the hike, a pink jeep tour was coming in, moving much faster than I ever would. I don't know about being scared, but the passengers were getting whipped around like dolls, and it didn't look like a lot of fun. If you can't hike, it's probably the best way to get out into the really scenic areas, but renting your own 4WD and going out for hikes is, IMO, the best way to go.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

smetz...sounds like a motion sickness nightmare to me! I'm aiming for driving on our own to hiking spots. How was the Devil's Bridge hike? Easy? Moderate?
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 04:57 AM

I would say Devil's Bridge was moderate, same with Brin's Mesa. Cathedral Rock is difficult, but less so if you start from the paved parking lot specifically for Cathedral Rock. We started from a parking area on the opposite side of the rock, off of Verde Valley School Road. It's a much longer hike that goes along Oak Creek, then up out of that canyon, around Cathedral Rock, and the up the face of the Rock. If you start from the paved parking lot, you only do the last part (which is pretty steep and involves some scrambling).

The Coffee Pot Rock trail, which is right in town off of Coffee Pot Road, is easy and has excellent views. Then if you are in the mood for a little more huffing and puffing while on that hike you can go up Sugarloaf Mountain (not much more than a big hill really), which I'd say is moderate.

Not sure where you're from, but if you have any warm weather while you're out there, be sure to take a good amount of water when you hike. Especially if you do a moderate or difficult hike on a hot day, it's very surprising how much water your body loses, and so easy to under-estimate what you need.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 04:59 AM

The Pink Jeep Tours - particularly the Broken Arrow - are great fun and are an experience in themselves - as they are meant to be. They go over steep and large boulders and take you to some great viewing spots with amazing vistas.

They are not meant to be a substitute for hiking, or even for driving on your own, and the put downs on this thread are silly, especially from people who have not taken one. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but they are what they are, and I think the negatives are exaggerated.

I did the pink jeep and enjoyed it and did not get whipped around or terrorized, nor did I scream a lot. I just had a good time.

I also did lots of hiking in different areas of Sedona and drove there on my own. The Boynton Canyon area, which has several options, was my favorite. I saw people hiking in sneakers but I was very glad to have my hiking boots. In the very least, good hiking shoes are useful on the rocks.

I was underwhelmed by the sunset from the airport area.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

smetz, we are from the midwest. I've heard from many about the need for a lot of water. Thanks for reminding again! The Coffee Pot Rock Trail sounds like a good starting point.
panecott, thanks for your ideas. I think I'll show the Pink Jeep videos to my family and let each of them decide.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 07:14 AM

I have also done the pink jeep tour and I highly recommend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -