Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Maui w/6yr old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Martha

We will be vacationing on Maui with our son. I'd like to relax, but want to do fun stuff with him too. We're staying at the Marriott, and it looks like they have a great pool, and of course, the beach!

I'm thinking snorkeling on Molokini (renting the stuff for the week), the Ocean Center, Sugar Cane Train, and maybe partial Road to Hana. I'm wondering about biking down Haleakala after watching the sunrise. Sounds fun, but would a 6yr old think so? What about whale watching trips? There will be at least one round of golf played, and I don't think he (husband) cares which course!

Thanks!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:36 AM
patg

If you are going between January and mid-April, I would definitely recommend the Whale Watching trip with Pacific Ocean Foundation. The Ocean Center (aquarium)is pretty well done, but I felt it was unnecessary with the great snorkeling around Maui. My 3 boys also loved watching the windsurfers near Paia. Six years is too young for the bike ride down Haleakala; I think 12 was the youngest riding age those companies will deal with. A car ride to the top is very interesting, though. Bring really warm clothes and an extra pair of socks to use for mittens!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:49 AM
CF

Martha, none of the things you mentioned would interest a 6 year old. The trip to Hana would bore him to tears, I think the bike trip would be a little much for him and unless he is an excellent swimmer, I would avoid Molokini. I think I'd con grandma into babysitting for a week, go, have a great time then come home and take him to a place that kids enjoy.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 01:48 PM
Melinda

My 6 year old loved Maui and loved just playing at the beach and in the pool with myself and my husband. He will like all the talking parrots around, snorkeling at Kapalua Bay (make sure you have a small inflatable raft and a life jacket is a good idea), find a gentle beach and boogie board, mine got a kick out of all the outdoor restaurants, he would like Molikini for snorkeling if fish don't frighten him (one thing to see them behind glass at Seaworld and another to be in with them), learning about the naitive birds, fish, flowers before you go and then finding them there etc. Have a great time being a family and pack some sand toys for the simple pleasures he will remember. My son found so many kids his age at the pool which really was nice for him.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 04:41 PM
Lance

ditto on the bike trip. way too young!