Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Lake Powell, Zion and Bryce Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Sarah

We've decided to put off our trip to Italy this year and explore the sights here instead. Plan to travel from Phoenix area to Lake Powell, then on to Zion and Bryce Canyon the second week in October. Any recommendations for places to stay in these areas? Things to do (besides hiking)?

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Vic

I probably shouldn't be posting this since I haven't been to this area in eight years.

About 20 years ago, we rented a house boat on Lake Powell for a week. The scenery is spectacular, if for no other reason than it's so unusual. However, it's all the same. About the third day, we were really to go home.

About 8 years ago, we took our daughter to Lake Powell and took a half day excursion boat to all the sights, most notably Rainbow Bridge. It was perfect. There were no luxury hotels when we were there -- servicable Hoilday Inn like places, that was it.

Zion has a nice lodge with expansive grounds. The area is well worth seeing. But each is probably worth no more than one day apiece. You've seen one rock, you've seen them all.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 08:31 PM
Sarah

Thanks for your comments, Vic.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 03:11 AM
rqf

Since you didn't mention Gr. Canyon I assume that has been done. If so, unless you have a major reason for starting the trip in Phoenix, less driving would be involved if trip began in Las Vegas. A place to stay in Lake Powell is the Warweep Lodge right on the lake. A tour of the dam is interesting. LOdges are okay in both Zion and Bryce. At Bryce consider Ruby's Best Western just outside the park. At Zion consider staying in Springdale - lots of decent motels and restaurants.
Starting from Phoenix consider a day or two in Sedona either going or returning.
On the way to Lake Powell stop for an hour or two at Montezuma's Castle. Then you could visit Walnut Canyon National Monument and Wupati and Sunset Crater National Monument. Walnut Canyon can be less than a 2 hour visit. The other two can be accessed via a loop road off of rt. 89 - the road you take to Lake Powell.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 05:27 AM
fan

Hi Sarah,
There was a deal at the Wahweap Lodge in Lake Powell...if you book at tour, you got one night free. I don't know where I saw it, but you can find the hotel on the web and call and ask them. Don't miss Antelope Canyon. You aren't allowed to go yourself..you have to take a tour..it is probably the most amazing and spectacular thing we have ever seen...definitely the highlight of a two-week trip to the parks. At Zion, we stayed in the park..that was the only way we could drive into the park. We could sit on our balcony and watch the deer stroll by!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 07:02 AM
RB

I agree with RQF- unless there's a specific incentive to fly out of Phoenix, Las Vegas may be a better logistic point for your trip. We have visited Zion/Bryce in '00 and '01, but used Salt Lake City as our start/endpoint so we could add in Arches NP, Monument Valley, and other attractions. At Bryce, I like to stay in the park's lodge for the easy walking access to Sunrise/Sunset Points.
(Trust me- when you have to get up before daybreak to see that dazzling sunrise, you want to be close by!) Ruby's Best Western is your next best bet. At Zion, I again like the park lodge to see the beautiful wildlife that scamper across the grounds- many deer congregate under the large tree at the main lodge, and we always see a porcupine! But Springdale also offers good lodging, plus the park shuttle picks up in town. Have read several good things about Flanigan's Inn. Definitely eat at Zion Pasta & Noodle- not fancy, but decent pizza and suds. Hope you enjoy this trip; we have loved our visits. I'm still puzzling over Vic's comment; guess I just love rocks!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 07:59 AM
Lynn

I have one little suggestion from my own experience with traveling to the Southern Utah parks this past Spring- get a national park annual pass - it will save you a lot of money. The entrance to the parks is not very "inexpensive" in my opinion...it is a good investment if you want to hit Bryce and Zion. The natural beauty of the parks is breathtaking and I hope you have a fantastic stay!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Sarah

Thanks, all, for your suggestions about places to stay, things to see, getting the annual parks pass. We are starting our from Phoenix because we live here. This will be a strictly driving trip, and we'll have about 8-9 days. We've already been to the Grand Canyon, and we spend lots of time in Sedona.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 06:51 AM
rqf

Since you have 8 or 9 days consider adding Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley to your itinerary. You might consider this route. First stop Canyon de Chelly for one day. Then a half day tour of Monument Valley and then on to Lake Powell for 2 days followed by Bryce and Zion spending two days at each before heading back to PHX. Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley are worth seeing if you have not already been to either.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Lori

We just returned from a trip to Sedona,Grand Canyon & Lake Powell...at Lake Powell we stayed at the Waheep Lodge..they were renting lakeside rooms for $126.00/ night and a couple of people we met told us their room was free since they took the rainbow bridge tour for $80.00/each...we rented a powerboat for the day which was a lot of fun...highly recommend the Colorado River float trip...can't tour the dam right now due to security concerns, but the raft went right up to it...our room at the lodge was really nice and the 2 meals we had in their dining room were wonderful and reasonably priced....have a great time!!!!