Reload this Page >

Recommendations for High-End Resorts in Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:38 AM
david

I am planning our honeymoon for March 2002. We originally were planning to stay at either Cuisinart or Cap Juluca in Anguilla. Now we are considering Hawaii and would appreciated any suggestions for similar quality resorts in Hawaii (all islands considered, e.g., BI, Maui, Lanai, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 01:02 PM
xxx

Maui -
Four Seasons
Grand Wailea
Kea Lani

Big Island -
Four Seasons

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 01:12 PM
nina

Mauna Lani Bay, Koele Lodge, Hotel Hana Maui ranch, Hapuna Beach, Manale Bay, Kapalua Bay, Princeville Kauai . Some of the very big, expensive resorts cater to kids and families like the Grand Wailea so watch out. If you're looking for something more romantic and elegant consider the above.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 03:07 PM
gina

For our honeymoon, we want great service and fabulous accomodations and for once we didn't rationlize, "How much time do you spend in the room?!" We are considering starting at the Lodge at Keole on Lanai, and possibly moving to the Manale Bay on that same island. From there we will move to Maui - and depending on how long we stay we may split our time between two places - for sure we'll go to the Four Seasons and then we might also go back to Kapalua Bay, where we've been and we thought it was a great value for a quiet romantic destination.

Friends of ours stayed at the Mauna Lani on the Big Island to start their honeymoon and highly recommended it. But I hear the Four Seasons on the Big Island is one of the best anywhere.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Garvin

David if your prime objective is seclusion in seeking the perfect honeymoon destination, Cap Juluca is a good choice. And the water there is warmer and prettier than in most all places in and around Hawaii. It's small and removed from civilization.
But that's where the advantages end.
The reasons Hawaii is the favored honeymoon destination for those without limitations are many, but include these: the choice of styles of high end resorts in Hawaii far exceeds that of the Caribbean (from the Disneyesqu-Vegas-ish opulence and busy-ness at Maui's Grand Wailea...not most people's idea of honeymoon destination...to the unsurpassed serenity and impeccable service at the Four Seasons Hualalai on the Big Island to name a couple); the variety of high quality restaurants and shopping (a bit less so on BI and Kauai) is broad; safety/crime is a virtual non-issue; sporting options much more varied than in the Caribbean; and the variety of islands all in close proximity and convenient connecting flights make island hopping cheap and convenient, which allows you to sample 2 or more types of ambience and landscape on the same trip.

The top hotels are mostly listed above: Kauai: Hyatt (not your typical Hyatt), Priceville Resort
Maui: Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, Ritz Carlton, Kea Lani
Big Island: Four Seasons, Mauna Lani, Orchid
Lanai: Manele Bay, Lodge at Koele
Oahu: Mandarin Oriental, Halekulani

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Bob

I don't care what anybody says -- I would NOT spend my honeymoon (or even another vacation) at Cap Juluca despite the nicer beach/ocean waters! The island is ABYSNMAL looking and certainly NOT conducive to driving and touring around like in truly gorgeous Hawaii!!