Search

Recommendations for Doing and Dining in Yosemite, Monterey, Mendocino

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for Doing and Dining in Yosemite, Monterey, Mendocino

Hey Everyone,

I'm a newbie to this forum. I'm planning a 25th anniversary trip for hubby and myself, May 11-21. I've got reservations for 3 nights B & B in El Portal, 3 nights at a cabin in Pacific Grove, 2 nights in a B&B in Mendocino. Looking for recommendations on the best things to do and places to eat. We'll be spending our anniversary near Yosemite, so would like a nice place to eat near there. Otherwise, we're more concerned about good food, CHEAP. We want to kayak, hike, horseback ride, whale watch (if it's worth it), bicyle, wine-tasting near Mendocino. We're also going to be in Reno on business from May 7-11, flying into Sacramento. Would appreciate ANY suggestions of great things to do in any of those places or along the way. Thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM

First, I guess you are flying into Sacto. and then driving to Reno. Correct? If so, take highway 50 out of Sacto. to Lake Tahoe and drive along the west shore before going up to Truckee and then east on highway 80 to Reno. The lake is beautiful!!

On your way to Yosemite, from Reno go south on 395 to Tioga pass and over into the valley, and back out of the park to El Portal. Stunning views!! Much better than coming in from the other direction along the Merced River.

In Yosemite, my favorite hike is up to Vernal and Nevada Falls. They call it the mist trail, and you really will get wet if the falls are in full flood. It is a steep climb and sometimes up steps carved from the stone.

Of course, hikers in really good shape can climb Half Dome, but it is a bear to climb the cables up the back side and can be lethal if you lose your grip. I think it is 8 miles each way from the valley floor. It is so popular there are crowds waiting at the top and bottom of the cable. Definitely don't go unless you are in top shape. PArt of the problems that arise there are from people who are not strong enough to finish the climb or who freak out when they get part way up.

When you are near Monterey, one nice kayaking trip is to Elkhorn Slough a few miles away. You see sea otters, harbor seals, and many many kinds of sea birds, including whole lineups of pelicans resting on the shore. It's a wildlife refuge, and a great place for photos.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Tioga Pass may not be open on May 21. It usually opens about the first weekend in June, depending on the snowload. Here is a historical record of the opening dates:

http://www.monobasinresearch.org/data/tiogapass.htm

You really need to check before driving down Highway 395. It is a very long detour to cross the Sierras if Tioga isn't open.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM

And I don't think the cables will be up on Half Dome by May 21.

That is a long hard day climb. People are killed on the top half every year. It's not a good choice as a casual day hike.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM

I would drive 80 east out of Sacto to Reno. Do your thing until the 11th. Since Tioga Pass will not be open you should drive to Tahoe and take 89 out of Meyers. Then take a right on to 88 going to Jackson. At Jackson turn left onto 49 and take 49 to 120 which will take you right into the valley. You can get to El Portal by going west on 140 out at Arch Rock.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just one quick comment - from SMF to Reno via I-80 is about 2 hours (unless you leave Sacramento during the afternoon commute). It will easily take 4-5 hours or more if you use the hwy 50, west side of the Lake route.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 03:45 PM

For a 25th anniversary meal (or maybe even stay there), try the Elderberry House in Oakhurst, south of Yosemite.

http://www.elderberryhouse.com/eehmain.html
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Hi there, Monterey is just about my favorite place to visit in California. They have a great aquarium, which I never get tired of, lots of charming shops, and of course whale watching. I have used Chris' whale watching before and have had fun. I would love to try the one next door that has a biologist narrating the trip, but all of these companies go out at the same time together, so it is really up to you which one you choose. They're located on the pier. We've seen orcas once, humpback whales, lots of dolphins and sea lions while out. Of course this was a couple of different times. While IMO it's not the best in California, it is a lot of fun. Just make certain you bring sunscreen!! Monterey also has an amazing bike path that runs right along the coast.There is kayaking nearby too. For a restrant, I recommend the fish hopper. Great food. I eat there every time I go to Monterey! Have fun!
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 05:53 AM

For horseback riding in the Mendocino area, check out Ricochet Ranch, www.horse-vacation.com, located just north of Fort Bragg.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 09:10 AM

The Elderberry House as prevously mentioned is amazing, we dined there on New Year's Eve and have been several times before, always wonderful! ***kim***
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:49 AM

For cheap but GOOD food,try Rosines in Downtown Monterey. The plates are full of food, you could even share. Homemade food, family owned local business.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 06:31 AM

Janisj is correct. I live off Hwy 50 and I always go to Reno via I-80. Personally, I think the views along I-80 are beautiful also. The views of the Truckee River and Donner Lake great. Since you are arriving in SMF on a Sunday, you will be going against the weekend traffic coming back from the Sierras.

A nice side trip off 49 (at Angels Camp) is Murphys. There are a few wineries near town. Ironstone is a fabulous winery to visit. Check it out at www.ironestonevinyards.com

Have fun in C
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 09:55 AM

We just came back from a week in San Francisco, visiting Mendocino. If you are willing to drive a little from Mendocino, the wine country between Mendocino and Booneville is perhaps the most beautiful anywhere in California. We only spent a few hours in Mendocino, which gives the impression of an isolated, windblown, Maine village. It's a very scenic spot, but I would think 2 nights there might be enough. Since we were only looking for a light lunch (and many places were closed), we wound up at Frankie's Ice Cream parlor, which was a pleasant surprise. Good homemade soups and Mexican food, ok pizza, and great ice cream.

We spent a brief afternoon in Monterey last year, and stumbled upon a very good place for dinner - the Santa Lucia Cafe, just a few blocks away from the waterfront. This place is run by a German/Italian family, and serves up both Italian and German dishes of very high quality at reasonable (for Monterey) prices.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM

I just finished a 2000 mile road trip from San Diego to the Redwoods and my favorite restaurant just happens to be close to Monterey - in Watsonville. It's a cute little town in the middle of beautiful farm fields. The restaurant is called Tepa-Sahuayo at 15 First Street, it's Mexican cuisine. The atmosphere is kind of kitschy, but the food is amazing. You'll be given two menus. One large menu has alot of regular Mexican offerings (for people who want something they recognize but skip this one). The smaller menu of recommendations is the one you want. I had an amazing saffron shrimp that I can't get over. My friends had an incredible bowl of queso and huitlacoche (cheese, corn fungus and wonderful tomatillo sauce yummmm). okay I'm drooling again and sorry I live 7 hours away!
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM

In Pacific Grove ~ The Red House on the main street you can't miss it. Good for lunch or dinner. (not expensive) Passionfish just down the street a bit opposite side of the street, great fresh fish. Both of these are local favorites. Holly's has good breakfast.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM

The Ahwahnee Hotel's dining room in Yosemite would be a nice place for your anniversary dinner. I haven't been to the Elderberry House, but I have heard it is very good.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:08 AM

The Ahwahnee has a nice atmoshpere, but the meal did not compare with Elderberry House when I ate there a few years ago. I would recommend the Sunday brunch at the Ahwahnee, although the price has jumped considerably.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM

In Monterey I would eat next door in Pacific Grove at Fifi's or for a special occasion The Old Bath House. It looks right out over the water fromt the top of a little cliff and a grassy park. The food is fantastic, and they have early bird specials. I would also travel to Carmel for afternoon tea at The Tuck Box (so charming!).
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM

If you are driving north on 49 leaving Yosemite to go back to Sac stop at Susan's in Sutter Creek. We really enjoyed our meal there. Also there is a delicious bakery to pick up all kinds on treats close by on 49 called Andres.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Awesome responses! I've been out of town (and offline) for the past week. So happy to tune in and find so many helpful suggestions. I checked out the Elderberry House menu for today. Looks scrumptious. $95 per person for the meal? Is it really worth it? I am checking out the other suggestions. THANKS so much to those who contributed! This forum is incredibly helpful... so glad I found it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -