Recommendations for a 4 day Key West getaway.

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 01:17 PM
Charles Poole

Recommendations for a 4 day Key West getaway.

I need some recommendations for a four day getaway in January for Key West. I have only been down there once, a few years ago. I am looking for a fairly nice place for two people. We are not on a tight budget, but not looking to spend a fortune. Anything from chains to bed & breakfast is good. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks...

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 04:29 PM
Bonnie

Charles: My husband and I stayed at the Island City House at 411 William St. last November. It is an excellent location. Within walking distance from old town and many of the attractions. We were there in 1995 too and really enjoyed the area so much we returned. They had a wonderful breakfast served down in the garden every morning. They had a hot tub and pool, would help us with dinner reservations too. Lots of great places to eat. Blue Heaven a restaurant in Bahama village is great, a real different place and something to see. A fancier place is the Marquessa Hotel. We ate dinner there too and it was more formal and excellent. We think the best bar is the Schooner Wharf Bar just down William St. at the Key West Bight. It's where the locals go. Don't miss the sunset celebrations. Both times we were there we went on the "Stars ans Stripes" a catamaran for a sunset cruise. The first time we also went on a snorkeling trip. We really liked Key West and will probably return again sometime. Any questions, feel free to e-mail me direct. Bonnie

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 10:22 AM
Jennifer

Bonnie, We are considering staying at the Island City House - do you recomend staying in the main house or the Cigar House? Do you have any other recomendations of similar places to stay? Do you (or anyone else out there for that matter) know anything about Simonton Ct, Center Court Inn or Dewey/La Mer?

Thank you!

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 10:22 AM
Jennifer

Bonnie, We are considering staying at the Island City House - do you recomend staying in the main house or the Cigar House? Do you have any other recomendations of similar places to stay? Do you (or anyone else out there for that matter) know anything about Simonton Ct, Center Court Inn or Dewey/La Mer?

Thank you!

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 01:59 PM
susan

We have been to Key West many times, but we've usually stayed on our boat. Once we stayed at the Pier House...it was ok, not great. Take time to have a rumrunner at the Schooner Wharf Bar, but be sure you go on an afternoon when Michael McCloud is playing. Fun!
Then find your way to PePe's for breakfast. THe homemade bread is yummy. Hint: Pepe's is almost directly across the street from West Marine. Shipwreck Museum is nice...climb the tower.
Have FUN! And enjoy the lovely sunsets.

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 04:18 PM
Bonnie

Jennifer, We stayed in the Cigar House, but I would stay in the main house, I don't really think it matters that much. The best thing about the place is the location. The have a hot tub and very nice pool. They helped us with dinner reservations, etc. Just a good place, if We went back, it's the first place I'd try. If I couldn't get in there, I would try the Key West Bed & Breakfast (The Popular House), it's 415 William St., right next door to the Island City House. They have a hot tub, no pool. I don't really have any knowledge of the places you mentioned. Simonton Court is mentioned in one of my guide books as catering to those who appreciate a "varied" life-style. Take it for what it's worth. If you have any other questions, please ask. Key West is the neatest place, wish I were going again soon. Bonnie

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 05:05 AM
susan

I've just gotten back from my third trip to Key West this year, and if the thought of having a balcony overlooking a marina appeals to you, I'd suggest the Galleon. The Galleon Marina and Beach Resort is actually a timeshare that also has weekly and daily rentals.
The one bedroom units have nearly 900 square feet including fully equipped kitchens, big bedrooms, and wonderful balconys. They're perfectly located in the thick of activity (next to the Pier House on Front Street) and within walking distance of tons of great restaurants, including Pepe's - which provides the biggest cholesterol boost in the world! Check out their web site...

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 06:47 AM
Jennifer

Thanks for the information on Island City House - does anyone know anything about La Mer Hotel/Dewey House? They are right on the beach and sound great. Any information appreciated.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 07:43 AM
susan

I hate to bring this up, but are you aware the beaches of Key West are currently contaminated? The water around the reef and at Dry Tortugas is clear, but the Key West Beaches are contaminated by e-coli.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 09:33 AM
Jennifer

Yes, we know we can't go in the ocean, but like the idea of being on the water. Unless the beach isn't nice at all? We really don't know! Thanks for the tip on Galleon... do you know about the other places I asked about?

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 11:06 AM
susan

Like you, we much prefer being on the water! In fact, being hopelessly land-locked at home, I can't imagine NOT staying on the water when there's an opportunity. For that reason, the only places we've stayed in the past 2 years were the Hyatt, which fronts the Gulf, and the Galleon, which is only two doors down and overlooks both the Gulf and its own marina. My husband isn't a fan of B&Bs so we always stay in hotels or condos. I looked up the property you asked about and agree it looks nice. My only concern would be that most of the "action", i.e. tourist stuff and restaurants and the sunset activities are really too far away for a comfortable walk. Old Town has practically no parking places, so you'd probably spend a lot of time on the shuttle. I'm sure that regardless where you stay, you'll love it! I'd go back tomorrow if I could.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 12:36 PM
Dave

My wife and I are frequent visitors to the island.We have stayed at Simonton Court on more than one occasion and found it to be a pleasent experience.The best rooms are the cottages which front one of the various pools.It is within walking distance to Duval street.I'd recommed renting mopeds to truly see the island and be sure to have at least one dinner at Louie's Backyard.

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 06:04 PM
becky

My husband and I stayed at "The Colony" - not it's not a nudist colony. It has 6 or so cabins with a beautiful swimming pool. Very secluded but just down the street from Duval. Close to an excellent restaurant "7 Fish". The staff at the Colony are wonderful - quiet and discreet in their cleaning, gardeing, etc. Fantastic greenery everywhere.

Old Nov 26th, 1999, 07:18 PM
chris

Check out Curry Mansion Inn. My wife and I have stayed there twice. Very private and romantic, but only a block off Duval's west end. The room was under $200 and you get a pass to two private resort beaches! It has a tropical courtyard with a little pool (which only once had people other than us in it) and evening pianist. If you go, try Blue Heaven (the best and safer than it looks) and Kelly's restuarants. Re: ecoli; we are water people, but chose to use the pools rather than the ocean anyway. The beaches are pretty rough so we lounged near buy and dipped in the pools.

Old Dec 17th, 1999, 09:22 AM
Rebecca

La Mer and Dewy House are run by the same company. Dewey is nicer and right on its own beach. Prices in January will run you $245-315. La Mer is quaint but rooms are as nice, they run $205-315. Visit their website @ www.oldtownresorts.com . Good Luck!