Reload this Page >

Recommendation for Boston, North End Restuarant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 09:37 AM
nancy

Does anyone have any recommendations for Italian restuarants in the North End, Boston?
We rather eat at a "hole in the wall place with good food, than some trendy, nouvelle (?) cuisine place.
Thank you very much for any suggestions.
Nancy

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 10:22 AM
Lisa

I'm from the Boston, North End area...have many suggestions..just need to know your budget.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 10:32 AM
Ken

My favorite place to eat in the North End is Lucia's. It is not overpriced or overly fancy. They just serve incredible old world Italian food. Look for the head waiter Tony - he'll take care of you. My favorite dish was the Linguine Marco Polo. Mmmm mmmm mmm.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 10:59 AM
Rose

My favorite in the North End is Massiminos (207 Endicott St.)it is not in the heart of the North End, but is easily walked to. I have always found the food to be quite delicious (and I am somewhat picky about Italian food as my parents were born in Italy and make the best food). Their food is good, basic non-trendy Italian. The place is rather tiny, but nicely decorated -- simple, not pretentious, a step or two above a "hole in the wall." Their specialties are always excellent. Also, the prices are extremely reasonalbe. Most entrees are in the $9 - $14 range.Hope you enjoy your North end meal wherever you end up!

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 11:38 AM
Lisa

I second Lucia's!

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 02:55 PM
nancy

Lisa, Ken, and Rose!
Grazie, grazie , grazie del aiuto!
We will not be going for a month but I thought I would start now.
Lisa,
Our budget could be up to $100 without wine (for two), if the food was really worth it.
But , from experience, most expensive does not necessarily mean good.
The only requirement is *not* trendy (hope I am not insulting anyone, not yuppified)
Maybe will will have to make a couple trips, to eat at *both* places, and will definately look for Tony.Again, Thanks.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 04:05 PM
Keith

I am from South of Boston and love the North end of Boston. My suggestion, without a doubt is La Famiglia Georgio's on Salem Street. They have very large portions that you can share (for a small fee). Its not fancy, and is family style type restaurant. The food is outstanding and the prices are reasonable. Its always busy so I would suggest going at an off time. Have fune!!!

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 05:31 PM
edie

sorry, have to disagree with keith about La Famiglia. i find it's menu is primarily overly garlicked red sauce and since it;s served in huge portions, everyone thinks it's a great place.
my vote is Artu's, totally casual, tasty food, nice and small. also, Pomodoro is good.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 05:48 PM
Lisa

Nancy,
Lucia's is a good choice, but I also highly recommend Prezza. Prices are moderately expensive but well worth it. It's a fairly new restaurant with great food, atmosphere, and the desserts are outstanding! Enjoy your stay in Boston.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Dick

Yet another vote for Lucia's.

Lisa - I understand the chef at Prezza, whose name escapes me at the moment, left recently to start his own place. Have you been in since his departure and, if so, is the quality still there?

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Lisa

Dick - Prezza's chef is its young owner Anthony Caturano. Caturano's cuisine could be called nuevo Italian, informed by his stints at Olives, Patina in Los Angeles, and Mark's Place in Miami. His sous chef, Matthew Gennuso, has a similar background. If Gennuso left, I don't know, but Prezza still has it's same owner.

I was there in December and the food quality was still good. The middle part of the restuarant can get noisy towards the end of the evening.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Dick

Lisa - thanks for the feedback, which jogged my memory enough for me to realize that it wasn't Prezza at all, rather Charles Draghi at Marcuccio that I was thinking of. Sorry for any confusion.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 09:55 AM
nancy

Thanks Lisa, Edie, Keith, and Dick for the suggestions.
I think Lucia's will be a definite, and will check out the others!
I am sure we will *love* our meal.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 11:23 AM
elaine

Nancy,

My husband and I recently were in Boston. A Boston friend recommended "La Summa", 30 Fleet St.
(617) 523-9503
A most memorable meal...and we would recommend heartily. It appeared most of the patrons were local. Reservations essential, attire very casual, dinner for 2 with wine, dessert and tip under $85.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Ken

One more recommendation about Lucia's - for dessert, order the cannoli - it's one of the best I've tasted.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Mary Ellen

You are in the North End and really can't go wrong anyplace. We moved away and have nothing but franchises..have a bite for me!

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 02:07 PM
nancy

Thanks guys for keeping them coming!

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 08:53 PM
sandra

Over the years, while working in Boston, I ate in many of the North End restaurnts and never had a bad experience. Sometimes it is just fun to follow your nose to the aroma that appeals to you most and try that place for dinner. I especially enjoyed Lucia's on Hanover St. and Picolo Venezia (next to Paul Revere's old north church)

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 04:45 AM
C

I would have to say Terra Mia - the atmosphere is crowded and the decor isn't great - but the food made your mouth water.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 06:15 AM
nancy

Thanks Sandra and C for the latest additions.
I am printing this out for a friend of mine, who just today asked if I knew of any good Italian Restuarants!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -