Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

recommend a family hotel in san francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WE leave in three days and have everything organised except for a 2 day stay over in SF. I need a hotel that will take five in a room. Have tried the three Holiday Inns, Canterbury and Crowne Plaza, all with no success. We need something central as we will be walking everywhere. Does anyone know of a nice hotel, about $150 a night?
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 04:40 AM

The Rennaisance Parc 55 is near Union Square, about a block from the Powell St. cable car turnaround, and usually has weekend rates under $150. Plus the (big) double rooms have two queens as opposed to 2 doubles, if I remember correctly. It's a marriott-affiliated property so www.marriott.com has the details.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 05:11 AM

Have you tried Hotwire?
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:46 AM

Try Grosvenor Suites - they have junior suites and studio suites, or Best Western Americania - family room for up to 6 people.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

I am very new to hotwire, they don't seem to guarantee five in a room and I worry that when we get there it will be "sorry, we don't have rooms for five. Is there any guarantee that that won't happen?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 03:33 AM

Hotwire and Priceine have no option for 5 to a room - in fact, I think they only guarantee bedding for 2. Many people report they have had no trouble calling hotel directly to get bedding for 3 or even 4, but 5 might be pushing it. Still, when we travel with our 2 teenagers and need more space, we have used Priceline or Hotwire and bid for 2 rooms - and still come out cheaper than a regularly priced hotel room.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:17 AM

The Union Square paranoia is sooo ridiculous. Yes, there are homeless people and you know what, they're not going to bite you.
Union Square is packed with tourists, shoppers and office workers, well into the night. The greatest danger you'll face is being impaled by a Nieman Marcus bag or wandering in front of a cable car!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:19 AM

I will be in SF in a week at we're staying in a suite at Hotel Juliana. The other place to look would be Hotel del Sol. They have a family suite.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:38 AM

Understandable, but one incident does not warrant labeling an area unsafe. Individual incidents happen in the toniest of places. I think people can be too reactionary about things.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you tried Quikbook.com? They have a lot of nice SF properties at rates within your budget. I've booked with them in DC, Boston, NYC, Chicago, and Albuquerque and never encounterd a sub-par hotel.

If you're interested, go to the site and post your dates but enter two adults and two kids (not 3). That will show you what's available. Then call them directly (212)779-7666 and see if they can help you. The hours you can call are on the site. I had to book 5 into a place in Chicago a couple of years ago and they were extremely helpful. Good luck.

For what it's worth, I agree with martytravels about the homeless issue being way overhyped. You've already lopped half of your holiday off. Please don't be further frightened by fearmongering.