Reload this Page >

Recent shark attack update

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 07:10 PM
Sal

Since there has been quite a bit of discussion here about the recent shark attack, I thought I would share this information that just came out on a Tampa area cable news network (for the full story, you read it at www.tampabay.rr.com) :

It’s hard not to get the feeling that something strange is going on in the mysterious world of sharks. No, “just coincidence,” say scientists and environmentalists. “Happens every year—nothing new here,” comes the mantra.
But a growing number of people, especially Floridians who live in the shark-attack capital of the world, are starting to become dissatisfied with the calming statements from shark experts. Now, a new voice is beginning to come to the forefront with a possible explanation for the recent rash of attacks.
Commercial shark fishermen say they’ve been warning scientists for years that the severe restrictions imposed on their industry since 1993 would lead to more shark attacks and deaths along the Florida coast. A look at numbers that neither side disputes appears to bear that out. Since 1993, the number of sharks caught by commercial fishermen plummeted by 86%, while the number of attacks sky-rocketed an amazing 325%.
The 1993 federal restrictions were quickly followed by a laundry list of other measures, both state and federal, that have decimated the shark fishing industry. Among them, a ban on shark fishing within 9-miles of Gulf Coast beaches which has resulted in the creation of a veritable “shark sanctuary” in the areas that people are most likely to come in contact with sharks. Prior to 1999, there were 2,000 commercial shark fishing permits. Today, barely 200—a 90% percent reduction.
Even world-renowned shark expert, George Burgess of the International Shark Attack File, says the restrictions could be a “contributing factor” to the increase in Florida’s shark population but remains skeptical.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 07:38 PM
For Truth In Media

Oh come on, now....
PLEASE stop buying into all this media frenzy circus atmosphere about shark attacks.
The statistics you cite are easily manipulated and the raw data can be construed to support whichever side of the issue you wish to back.

From the University of Florida's site on FL shark attacks, here are the number of FL attacks from 1994-2000:

1994 24
1995 31
1996 13
1997 26
1998 22
1999 25
2000 34

The average? 25 per year.
Has there been a "dramatic increase" since 1994? No way.
Has there been a 55% increase since 1998? Yes.
The numbers are small so percentages mean next to NOTHING.

This same data file states clearly that worldwide attacks are on the increase....because the number of bathers per year is increasing.
The rate of the increase in bathers is greater than the rate of increase in attacks.
The rate of shark attacks PER CAPITA IS NOT INCREASING.

So stop fanning the flames, OK?
This is another media driven process built on next to nothing.
So let it die.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 08:16 PM
da dum

Sal,
Sharks feed at dusk;
People are warned not to swim at dusk and at nite; yet they still do it. Every once in awhile one of these idiots will be bitten. People who do not heed these warnings are ...da dumb!!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 08:35 PM
Bill

Thanks for this tid bit. It's an interesting theory and it has merit. I think commercial fisherman have fished our waters to extinction. Now the pendulum has swung the other way and the restrictions need to be relaxed for a while. Any regulation such as this warrants a re-examination after a while.

The overall increase may not be as dramatic as reported, - it's still only August. But how often do you see 5 or 6 attacks in 48 hours in the same area?

I'm glad the media is staying on top of this. Otherwise, I think there would be many more attacks to report.

Thanks for the update.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:13 PM
Truth?

Geez for truth, what are you--an advertisement for Florida tourism or do you just work for Florida tourism? Don't kid yourself. It is a big deal when so many people are getting attacked by sharks and it is news. You can spout all the stats you want. I've lived in Florida for 49 years and I've never seen the shark activity like it's been this year.

Don't try to blow smoke up our a$$ and give people a false sense of comfort. The fact is, now and in the immediate days to come, people had better exercise caution and common sense. I know that the life guards in our area (Little Casey Key) are at full alert and have cleared the water at our beach up to 5 times in one day due to shark sitings. Visitors should not be afraid of our beaches, but they should be paying attention, stay in areas where there are life guards and avoid swimming near fishing piers.

This isn't fanning the flames. It's caled passing on useful information.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:46 AM
joan

Along with the other statistics, keep in mind that the population in Florida has skyrocketed (from 8 million in 1980 to 15 million in 2000), not to mention our (successful) relentless pursuit of more and more tourists. With all those extra people in the water, doesn't it figure that sharks would be eating more of us?

Although caustic in his remarks, part of what "Truth?" wrote bears repeating:

"Visitors should not be afraid of our beaches, but they should be paying attention, stay in areas where there are life guards and avoid swimming near fishing piers."
(And I would add: learn to swim - fast - you only have to be faster than the guy next to you!) just jokin'!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:16 AM
lisa

Heard this on the radio this AM (From Jay Leno)

The NRA has a new slogan:

"Guns don't kill people, sharks do."

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:22 AM
Sal

It was not my intention to "fan the flames". There have been many inquiries here recently about the shark activity in our region and I merely wnated to share this recent theory.

Our family still goes to the beach regularly, but until this subsides, we are exercising additional caution.

I'm amazed when I see that some people are still swimming in the gulf at dusk, and children are waist deep in water looking for sand dollars. OUr teenage daughter was at the public beach last week and the lifeguards had everyone get out of the water. She said they stood on the shore and waited, as they watched a shark circle in about three feet of water. Fortunately, the lifeguards are on top of this situation, so if you stay in an area with a guard, you'll be fine.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:27 AM
Jaws

Damn I wish the media would just ignore us. If they'd just go away, more humans will pay less attention and just go in the water unaware that we are lurking. That way we could munch on them since the commercial fisherman have depleted our food supply.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:54 AM
Olive Oyl

"Truth In Media", your figures were skewed as well! You showed only the attacks in years the restrictions were lifted, 94-2000. Complete the decade, showing the years the restrictions were in place.
90--10
91--13
92--12
93--8
_________
94--24
95--31
96--13
97--26
98--21
99--25
00--33

That gives an average of 10.75 attacks for the years the restrictions were in place, and 24.71 attacks for the years they had been lifted, a fairly significant increase. (Wish I could find figures for the prior decade so we'd be working with more than 4 years.)

What part of this can be attributed to population increase? Who knows, but all those people moving here aren't headed to the beach, and at the same time population has increased, tourism has fallen off as the dollar became too strong for the Canadians to bear and more snowbird interest shifted to TX and AZ.

I don't consider myself an alarmist, but I'm not too keen on the beach at the moment either. Just this week there were 3 attacks Saturday, 3 Sunday and one Tuesday in Volusia County. Furthermore, the guards are on alert and the beaches were closed or how many others might there have been? Our news showed pictures of 4-5 dorsal fins in just a couple of feet of water at New Smyrna Beach shortly after the beach was closed. None of these attacks, by the way, were at dusk.

Not only was there the group of 300+ black tips, bull and hammerheads off Anclote Key, but a smaller group, possibly some of the same as they moved south from Anclote, were later spotted off Longboat Key. One of Tarpon Springs (Anclote Key) commercial fishermen says he always sees a gathering this time of year on the flats at Anclote, but added, that there were far more this year than he'd seen in previous years.

This may all be pure coincidence, who knows. It certainly has been a topic of discussion in our family...wondering what's going on, what is different about this year, and I appreciate Sal's posting the theory.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:02 AM
Pettem

I saw some TV footage recently where some looney tunes were going out in boats & PETTING Great Whites ! Can't remember where it was.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:08 AM
L

May I refer you to the Washington Post artice 1-2 days ago that looked at the incidence of shark attacks, and suggested what the actual risk levels might be. You can access it - see Section A. On a lighter note, I'm thinking of making my own t-shirt when I hit the TI beach next week ... it will convey a single message: Bite Me. I may refrain from wearing it in the water actually. LOL, is it possible this entire episode is a Benchley inspired opening to a new book tour? Ciao

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:18 AM
Jill

Our paper this morning attributed the recent increase in shark attacks to the murky waters, which make it impossible for the sharks to see, the increase of chumming fishing along the coasts and the increase in the number of surfers on the east coast of Florida. Also, the warming ocean waters are sending the sharks futher north. Having been stung by a jellyfish several years ago, I stay out of the water and do my swimming in a pool.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:30 AM
Larry

Jill-
I was also stung by a jellyfish at Panama City Beach, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the beautiful clear waters of the panhandle beaches. If you were stung by a bee, would you stay inside all the time?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:15 AM
Garth

I've heard that airplanes sometimes crash and people die. Is this true? Man oh man, I'm never going up in one of them things again!!

And sometimes people drive drunk and kill innocent travelers? No more automobile travelling for me, that's for sure!!

You mean people sometimes have complications from surgery (appendicitis, gall bladder...)? Heck, no surgery for me!!

You mean people sometimes get food poisoning from eating in restaurants? Heck, I don't need to be eating out anyway.

Go ahead, all you losers above, live in a bubble in a bomb shelter underground somewhere....it'll leave more of the wonderful things life has to offer for the rest of us to enjoy without your whining.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:16 AM
OliveOyl

Come on down, Garth, I've got just the spot for you. Actually we'll give you a shot at all three: boogie boarding over by Orlando, surfing at Sebastian Pass, and sponge diving off of Anclote. Can we bring cameras?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:23 AM
Leone

OO, uh oh, I half suspect you might even take a rasp down and sharpen the teeth of some of those bad boys (itqaulo gt;>). If you need help, I know a willing cat who loves good action footage. An e-mail should suffice. Ciao

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:29 PM
Sal

OO-

You left off pleasure cruising across the Howard Franklin!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:31 PM
OliveOyl

There has *just* been another shark attack this afternoon, this one at New Smyrna Beach. Just happened and news had no details yet.

Greg, you need to allow a little more time, OK? I just had you going to Sebastian Inlet on the east coast and we really should make time for New Smyrna as well. Thanks, it'll be fun!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 01:40 PM
OliveOyl

Sal, LOL, well, I planned on taking him down 19 from Tarpon Springs so we could swing across the Howard Franklin on the way to Orlando! Good plan. Maybe head east out of Ybor City too. Between the two of us, we can put together a great tour!

Sorry to any Gregs, make that *Garth's* Whirlwind Tour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -