Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Reasonably priced nice hotels in NYC outer bouroughs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 01:00 PM
tracey

Can you suggest any hotels in one of the slightly outer boroughs of NYC? I would like something safe, clean and a not-too-expensive cab ride to Manhattan. Would you reccomend
Brooklyn Heights? Also, are the bridges and tunnels now so slow that a cab would be extremely expensive? We are traveling with an elderly person who will not take the subway.
Thanks!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Janie

May I ask why you want to stay specifically in the outer boroughs? Do you need to be near something specific? When you are relying on taxis, yes the fares will be expensive when going over bridges and through tunnels. They are always prone to delays that can add up very quickly on taxi meters (every 60 seconds or so, in addition to distance)
There aren't very many choices in the other boroughs. For example, there's a Marriott in downtown Brooklyn, but it's not all that cheap and the neighborhood isn't espcially interesting (near a lot of court houses)Some B&B's in Brooklyn, but also not cheap. Several hotels in Queens, near the airport, but again, expensive to get to and fro, and nothing to do nearby.
If you're trying to save money by staying outside Manhattan, take a look at previous posts (search). People list many good deals they've found in more convenient lovcations

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:26 AM
m

If you are looking to save money on the room, you'll be paying the savings in cab fares. If that's the case, I recommend you pay a little more and stay in manhattan, and as already mentioned, nearby, outer-borough hotel choices are limited.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Owen O'Neill

If you could find a clean and reasonable place in an ouer borough I'd guess that you'd pay at least $80+ per night before taxes. Add in the transportation issues and the inconvenience and it just doesn't make sense. Ditto for staying in nearby NJ (e.g. a Red Roof Inn in Secaucus will cost $90-120 per night before taxes). Recent posts in this forum indicate that shopping around or using Priceline will get you some great deals on Manhattan hotels at present - definitely under $100 per night. I have tried stayign in NJ and going in by bus or train and have also stayed in Manhattan in hotels. Stay in Manhattan -it's so much more convenient and a more satisfying experience - do ytourself a favor and do it. It's easy enough to save $$ elsewhere - getting out of the main tourist areas (e.g. Times Square, SoHo etc.) will get you to an abundance of restaurants where you can eat very cheaply.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Steve

There is a beautiful relatively new Marriott in Brooklyn just a short walk from a subway station. Easy commute into Manhattan. Last year it cost $169 when most hotels were $300+. You might be able to get a better deal this year. The area itself is not much- not dangerous or anything- just uninteresting. I agree with other posts- rates are low enough now in Manhattan that it isn't worth staying farther out and paying cab fare (or even riding the subway).