Reload this Page >

REASONABLE RESTAURANTS IN MAUI

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 1998, 08:48 AM
SOPHIA MONTENEGRO

Eight of us will be travelling to Maui in three weeks. We are looking for restaurants that are under $20 per person. Is this unreasonable? Restaurants where locals go to would be great. We are particularly fond of Asian foods. Thanks!

Old May 9th, 1998, 06:59 PM
rebecca

I found that Frommer's Budget Guide to Maui(approximate name of the book) had some suggestions, including places that "locals" might eat. I think a lot depends on what part of Maui you are For example, you get a huge amount of food for lots less than $20 per at the Moana Terrace Buffet in the Maui Marriott. But I doubt you will find local people eating there. There is also a book that specializes in describing just what you want--nothing but reasonably priced restaurants in Hawaii. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of it--check out larger bookstores. Bon appetit!

Old May 10th, 1998, 11:04 AM
rebecca

The name of that book is "Cheap Eats in Hawaii"available at Barnes and Noble(where I saw it) or by order at any bookstore. Aloha.

Old May 10th, 1998, 05:01 PM
sgorces

It's not Asian, but you should try Maui Tacos (several locations). Just a little taco joint but the Maui Tacos with black beans are very good and very cheap. There's a Thai place in Lahiana on the back side of the little building of shops across the street from Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurant. Don't know the name but it's supposed to be decent. Cheeseburger in Paradise is pretty reasonable also. The waterfront setting and good live music makes for a great evening. Finally, there's a great bento box (Japanese) restaurant in Kuhului right on the way out of the airport. I don't know the name but it's a half block form the Shell gas station on the other side of Dairy Road. This one's worth searching out even without the name, (starts with an I, like Isakara or something). On the not cheap side, don't miss lunch at the Halimaile General Store. Aloha!

Old May 11th, 1998, 07:06 AM
Matt

Hula Grill in Kaanipali was great! Make sure you sit outside and order from the "casual" menu. We loved the "Ono".

Old May 11th, 1998, 07:07 AM
Matt

Hula Grill in Kaanipali was great! Make sure you sit outside and order from the "casual" menu. We loved the "Ono".