Re-Naming NYC Theater

Search

Re-Naming NYC Theater

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-Naming NYC Theater

Ellen, Howard or other theater buffs, I am curious as to how a theater name can be changed. The Martin Beck has been renamed the Al Hirshfield. Hirshfield died fairly recently, so the decision couldn't take that long to make. Who makes/instigates the decision, the theater owners? How often does this occur?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:58 AM

I would assume the owner(s) would make the final decision. Members of the theater community (either as an organized group or ad hoc) certainly play a part in suggesting/pressuring or whatever. Al Hirschfeld is certainly a worthy honoree. Perhaps Ellen can offer more "insider" info.
It doesn't happen that often. Among the other theaters honoring past greats are Lunt-Fontaine, Helen Hayes, Richard Rodgers, Eugene O'Neil, Barrymore, Walter Kerr and Brooks Atkinson. (I'm not sure whether or not the Neil Simon Theater is owned by him. Of course, that's another way to get a theater named after yourself: Own it!)
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:30 AM

The name changing has been in the works for well over a year. It was planned to coincide with Al's 100th birthday celebration. Unfortunately, he didn't live to see the day, but he was well aware of the honor. Martin Beck was a theater critic, but most people don't remember him. His family was informed of the change and has been supportive of it. As I get more info, I will post it. I am going to the ceremony on June 21st. Should be interesting.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:22 AM

See that, I knew Ellen would have more info!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:42 AM

Of course, renaming a theatre in honor of Al Hirschfeld is whole lot different than renaming a historic theatre the Cadillac Winter Garden. In that latter example, it's money that drives the process.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:47 AM
al

On the radio this morning I heard that Mayor Bloomberg may look to corporate sponsorships to help bring extra money into the city -- so don't be surprised if you'll soon be going to the Cadillac Winter Garden Theatre or to see the lighting of the Fed Ex/Rockefeller Center Christmas tree.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:54 AM

Well, we've already got the American Airlines theater! But add to the list of theater honorees John Houseman, though that's an off-broadway due to its size. Not sure what Mr. Houseman would think of the long run Puppetry of the Penis had at his namesake...
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:57 AM

Or maybe Hostess Twinkies Carnegie Hall.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Great replies, thanks. I don't know about the other theaters, but the Ethel Barrymore was named _for_ her, not after her. From what I remember, they wanted her to appear in a play and that was one of the perks.

Corporate re-namings ($$$$) are the trend in the San Francisco area too, Pac Bell Park etc..
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:15 PM

Nina, that's an interesting tidbit about Ethel Barrymore.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Not only did the Shurberts name the theater for Ethel B., they built it for her.

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

ooops, not the Shurberts, that's a dessert, Shuberts.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 03:31 AM

I think if Fodors buys a theatre they should name it the Howard Ravis Theatre!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:14 AM

Thank you, Owen, but I think Ellen deserves the honor far more than I do!
(But, still, that would be nice!)
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:25 AM
kk

What an interesting thread, and the Howard Ravis Theatre and the Ellen Theatre should be in the same lovely block.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:49 AM

Several years ago, the Broadway play "Torch Song Trilogy," which is about a gay drag queen, was playing at the Helen Hayes Theater.

Two elderly women were observed standing outside the theater looking at the marquee. Finally one said to the other "Well, if Helen Hayes is in it, it has to be good". So they bought tickets and went in.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:52 AM

gothampc,
Can you imagine their surprise when they got a look at Harvey Firestein in those bunny slippers!!! Lol~
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:13 AM

Oh this is too funny. Just tuned back in. Howard would have to have a theater next door to Chez Josephine so you could roll him right over there. A theater named after Moi? Delightful. But, if they could build a new one for me, so much the better. And while they are at it--I'd prefer more leg room. And perhaps more potties in the ladies room. Rental sweaters in case I am under the air condtioning vent. No seats on the side. More aisles. Electro-shock seats for people whose cell phones go off. Phone books under the seats for short folk. And last but not least, discount tickets if you sing a little song when making your purchase.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:16 AM

Oh, and I had my date wrong. The re-naming is on a Monday night, June 23rd. Al's birthday is the 21st.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 05:19 AM

Ellen, you're great! I like that idea of a theater next to Chez Josephine. Maybe I'll call Jean-Claude Baker and we can joint venture the project! (But then, he'd probably want his name on the theater, as well!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -