Rainbow Room in New York

Old Oct 28th, 1997, 05:30 PM
John

Rainbow Room in New York

I will be in New York on December 11-15th. I already have tickets to the Christmas Show on the 11th, Rent on the 12th, and A Funny Thing Happened on
the way to the Forum on the 13th. Do you recommend seeing another show on the 14th (I was thinking of Miss Saigon, perhaps) or should I use the day for other
activities? Also, should I go to the Rainbow Room for their Post Theater Dinner (11:30 p.m.) after one of the shows or go there on the night of the 14th, which I currently have open? Is the Rainbow Room experience worth it?

Old Oct 29th, 1997, 09:48 AM
Lisa

We will also be there 13th-15th. I don't have any info...sorry. But, if you get any--let me know.
I know NOTHING about NYC. Thanks!

Old Oct 29th, 1997, 03:15 PM
Pat

You will love New York. We go there at Christmas every year--it is a place that puts stars in your eyes!
Have not been to the Rainbow Room but have always wanted to go. Have friends who have been and say it is a truly unforgettable experience.
A true taste of NY.
Miss Saigon is also excellent.
Just get a guide book and look for the things you are interested in doing--there is a little bit of anything you could possibly be looking for.
Have fun!
P.S. Don't miss at least drinks at Tavern on the Green on Centra lPark--expensive but full of tourists and NY natives alike. Not to be missed.

Old Oct 30th, 1997, 04:31 PM
Julie

YES...A MUST!!! Be prepared to take your wallet, for it is truly an unforgettable experience worth every penny you will spend. I was there in August, make reservations for 7:30. Plan on arriving around 7:05 and request a window seat (a must) for the view. You can sit on the side which overlooks Central Park or the side which overlooks the Empire State Building (I think the view is better ie more lights on this side). The band rotates from a latin band to an orchestra every few sets. It is something out of old Hollywood. Our total bill without cocktails was approximately $225.00 for two. Visit their website at www.therainbowroom.com Hope this helps!

Old Oct 30th, 1997, 04:32 PM
Julie

YES...A MUST!!! Be prepared to take your wallet, for it is truly an unforgettable experience worth every penny you will spend. I was there in August, make reservations for 7:30. Plan on arriving around 7:05 and request a window seat (a must) for the view. You can sit on the side which overlooks Central Park or the side which overlooks the Empire State Building (I think the view is better ie more lights on this side). The band rotates from a latin band to an orchestra every few sets. It is something out of old Hollywood. Our total bill without cocktails was approximately $225.00 for two. Visit their website at www.therainbowroom.com Hope this helps!

Old Oct 30th, 1997, 04:36 PM
Julie

Sorry, the website is www.rainbowroom.com

Old Oct 31st, 1997, 09:15 AM
Audrey

I do not recommend "Miss Saigon" unless all you're looking for is a "big-production" type show. I do recommend "Bring in da Noise, Bring in da Funk."

Old Oct 31st, 1997, 10:06 PM
Cheryl

The Rainbow Room is the New York of your imagination! We went in Aug. to celebrate our 30th anniversary and had a fabulous experience. The view is astonishing and the room itself gorgeous. The menu is much more inventive than you would think and the food was delicious and beautifully presented. The Latin band and big band alternate and are both excellent, and if you enjoy dancing, you will absolutely love this. It's very expensive but definitely worth it. If you go, do it as your evening's entertainment.

Old Nov 10th, 1997, 08:45 PM
John

Thanks for the info. I'm still taking requests on things to do in New York while I'm there.

Old Nov 12th, 1997, 12:56 PM
joseph cameron

The Rainbow room for dancing - by all means. But you must make reservation, soon. Expensive - yes. But it's worth for a full evening of dancing, not sight seeing. The food is so-so, but the atmosphere is great. Perhaps havea few drinks and dance (if it's permiotted - do ask). We were there December 22, 1995, and loved it. Danced every dance. Suggest you purchase a Zagat's for their restaurant recommendations - the most reliable about the food in NYC. This is an expensive place, but worth every penny - and Zagat's tells you about fixed price lunchess and suppoers at fabulous places - real dollar savers. By the way, Smokey Joe's Cafe is wonderful show to attend - intimate. You are so lucky to be hitting NYC at Christmas. Have fun!!!

Old Nov 16th, 1997, 11:50 PM
Michelle

Yes, I go to the Rainbow Room every time I am in New York and never tire of it. It is also a good place to take first timers. They also have pre-theater seatings. You can purchase tickets on line through Ticketmaster. $42.00/person not including drinks and tip.

If possible, you should really try to see The Lion King or Titanic.