Search

Rainbow Room/Brunch

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:41 PM
kitty

Rainbow Room/Brunch

I'm visiting NYC for the first time at the
end of August and it has been suggested to me
that instead of waiting in long lines for Empire State Building to go somewhere with a view and have a drink. One suggested Rainbow Room in Rockfeller Plaza and then on another web site it was mentioned that the Rainbow Room was now closed. Does anybody know this to be the case? Also I would like to know a good Sunday Brunch to go to-my husband and I enjoy traditional american food and are staying at the Radisson Eastside on 48th/lexington. Thank you.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:53 PM
don

I will get back to you on your question soon

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 06:02 PM
philip

The Rainbow Room, alas is no more. It is now owned by the Cipriani organization.

They orginally planned it to be a private club. However, that didn't seem top work very well because it is now open to the public on every night (except Saturday and maybe Friday, also.)

Another great place for a drink/view, is the "Greatest Bar on Earth" at the top of 2 World Trade Center. Also, the Peninsula Hotel on 5th has a very popular rooftop bar. The view is not as good as WTC or Rock. Center, but it is outdoors which is nice.

The best brunch in NY is the Ambassador Room at the U.N. Plaza Hotel. Not cheap however at about $45. You might want to try the restaurant in the Beekman Hotel on 48th and 1st. Think it is called the Zephyr Room. Nice and very low key

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 11:43 AM
kitty

Sorry Philip to misunderstand you but are you saying that the there is a bar with a view at the top of Rockfeller Plaza but is no longer called Rainbow Room? Also do you know anything about the hotel we are staying at: Raddison Eastside as far as location, clean, roomy, etc.? Thanks for the info!

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:03 PM
phil

Kitty,
Sorry that I ws not clear, on most nights you can still go to the old Rainbow Room for a drink, even if you don't belong to the club.

You might want call them or check for a website.

Can't help you on the hotel.

Have a great time.

P.s. You might want to go onto zagats.com as it is the best restaurant guide for NYC.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Caitlin

There is a bar and resturant at the Rainbow Room that's generally open to the public, and they are open for dinner and dancing on certain nights (including a bunch in August). Go to http://www.cipriani.com/cipriani/Locs/rroommain.htm for details.

Despite Phil's constantly stated (on this board) opinion, Zagat is not necessarily the be-all and end-all on NYC restaurants; for one thing, the ratings used to form the currently available edition are over two years old. www.citysearch.com and www.nytoday.com generally have more up-to-date restaurant info with real reviews, not pasted-together snippets that don't tell you anything substantive about the food, etc.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Frank

Kitty: The Radisson has a great location, hotel row on Lexington Avenue. The Radisson is a neighbor to The Waldorf Astoria, Intercontinential, W, Marriott, and a number of others. The Hotel was recently taken over by Radisson, it was formerly known as the Lexington Hotel and once housed the Playboy Club. The lobby looks fine, and it is a big substantial hotel built before WWII, but I am not familar with the rooms, although I will tell you that lots of airline people seem to stay there, if that means anything.

Check out The View, the revolving restaurant, at the top of the Marriott in Times Square. Its a good place for a drink and you may want to check and see what they offer for brunch.