Disneyworld Stay January 2014

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest how long to stay in Disneyworld for. We have two children aged 12 & 15 and it will be our first time to the US. Looking at beginning of January 2014 to visit as part of our holiday. Someone suggested 6 Days?
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:08 AM

For the first visit, I would plan at least one day at each of the parks ( four ) . . Magic Kingdom might not be as attractive for the teenagers!
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:19 AM

I think 3 or 4 is plenty. Much of Magic Kingdom is for little kids (flying teacups, character breakfasts) not older ones. But I would also spend a day at Sea World (do spend time with the docents to get more in-depth information).
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:36 AM

I would say five or six nights. That would give you one day at each park and one day to hang around the resort (swim, if it is warm enough) and go to Downtown Disney. I think your children will enjoy The Magic Kingdom, especially if they have never been. I don't know if you are planning to visit Universal Orlando, but children your age would probably enjoy that a lot, too. Have fun!
Old May 26th, 2013, 05:53 AM

I agree with mikesmom. There's plenty for teenagers in Magic Kingdom, including Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, all iconic Disney attractions. Plus that's where Cinderella's Castle is located. It would be a shame not to see it. SeaWorld, SeaWorld's water park (Aquatica), SeaWorld Discovery Cove, Universal, Wet 'n Wild -- all are worthwhile and lots of fun, especially for teens. As you can see you can easily spend a couple of weeks in Orlando and not duplicate anything. But if you are just going to DisneyWorld I would allot a day for each of the parks with a rest/relaxing day in the middle. The parks are huge and it can be exhausting, even for teens. January weather can be iffy so obviously you'll need to plan your activities, especially the water parks, based on the weather.
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also think your children would enjoy the Universal Parks, especially if they are fans of Harry Potter.
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:34 PM

I think you will find that in January the weather is too cold for water parks. FL isn;t tropical - only semi-tropical - and in Jan the average high is 70 and the average low about 48. Temps in the 60s or even upper 50s are not at all uncommon then. IMHO better for touring but not for pools/beach.
Old May 26th, 2013, 03:16 PM

I agree with those who say Magic Kingdom is for younger kids. Heck, even my 5 year old was much more interested in MGM Hollywood studios than Magic Kingdom. And no way you should expect to do water parks (or any pool activities) in January.

I think you could do the Disney parks in 2-3 days and maybe an extra day at Universal. Or if you really like theme parks, you could easily spend 6 days.
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One good thing: the period AFTER 1 January up until mid-February is traditionally the least crowded at DisneyWorld.

I would not plan to do the water parks since Central Florida does not have the climate enjoyed further south. In fact, it can get quite chilly that far north in the Winter.
Old May 26th, 2013, 08:12 PM

I've been in Disneyland with my 10-years-old sister, that's why I would dvice you to spend about 5 days there. The Disneyland is amazing, but children get tired of it, for example, my sister realized that she wanted to go home after 3 days in the Kingdom.