Search

Rafting in the East

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 10:32 AM
Mr. Benson

Rafting in the East

While you guys are rafting in the west, I'm planning a trip for 8 college buddies in the east. we're looking to go somewhere in West Virginia. Possibly the Gauley (sp?). Anyone been or have any good tips?

Most of us are based in New York/Boston

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 11:23 AM
Yoko

why are you going to WV when you could go to Maine?

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 11:24 AM
Yoko

why are you going to WV when you could go to Maine?

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 05:24 AM
Mr. Benson

well, what's in Maine?

WVa is warmer, supposedly beautiful and has more prospects for adventure.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 06:20 AM
JO

Either the New or the Gauley in WVA are reported to be good rafting rivers.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 08:53 AM
bo_jack

I believe that the New River is essentially rain dependent -- not dam controlled to a large extent. I have kayaked on it at the 3' level (that means 3' on a specific river gage, not average depth) which is relatively high, but not flooding -- at that level it is a fast ride, with lots of big waves (6'-8') and one fairly serious rapid (double Z)(class IV+) near the end. Should be lots of fun of a raft if you are not very experienced. I have not been on the Gauley -- but by reputation it is at least one level harder than the New. I.E, not a river to be taken lightly. However, I believe that the Gauley is dam controlled and there are releases for boating principally (possibly, only) in early October. There is a well-known Gauley River Festival -- you would need to time your trips appropriately to have good water for rafting. You probably should get in touch with outfitters where you want to go to get specific information. Search the WWW -- most of them have web sites. In North Carolinia, Nantahalah Outdoor Center is the center for serious whitewater boating. They are in Bryson City, NC and do have a web page.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 09:24 AM
Yoko

The Forks has, supposedly, "the best whitewater rafting this side of the Rockies." It's on the Kennebec River in Maine; check out www.northernoutdoors.com. Also, in Millinocket, Maine, there's the New England Outdoor Center which also offers whitewater rafting on the Kennebec, Penobscot, and Dead Rivers. They're at www.neoc.com (or e-mail at [email protected]).

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 09:24 AM
Ann

If you are interested in finding out more about rafting in Maine, there is a web site:
http://www.gorp.com/raftmaine/
They have lots of local companies listed. I know some of those companies also run trips in WV but it's seasonal. There is a lot of wilderness up in Maine, so don't sell it short.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 10:25 AM
Helen

WVA rafting: I've rafted the Lower New River, the Upper New River, and the Lower Gauley. The Upper New and the Lower Gauley are almost identical in the level of the rapids. The Lower New is a little too bland - very good for first-timers or if you have kids. The Upper Gauley has a waterfall drop and the number of #5 rapids is more than the others. The Gauley is dam-controlled and is too low to raft most of the year. The dam is opened in Sept-Oct, allowing mountain water into the river so you will need a wet suit to keep warm! All my trips have been a blast and I'm a novice rafter. Have fun!

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 11:23 AM
Diane

We've done the Cheat in WVA and the Youghiogheney in Western PA (many times at different ages!). They aren't far from each other. The country is gorgeous, and it is incredibly fun. The Washington Post Travel section had a recent "rating" of adventurousness of several choices -- www.washingtonpost.com