Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Quiet lodging N.Conway / Lincoln area - help please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We ( one couple from England, no children )will be spending two or three nights in this area either end August or early September. I have searched through many previous posts and related websites and am just getting more confused. Willing to consider anything from cabin type accommodation to motel type or B & B.
Budget up to about $160 a night but less if no breakfast included.
I have looked at several very nice B & B's but it is becoming obvious that many are actually on very busy roads or next to other potentially noisy buildings. We are really very sensitive to noise from other rooms / roads etc at night. Can anyone suggest somewhere exceptionally quiet to stay. I am a bit neurotic about this as we paid well over our normal budget to stay at a new expensive hotel last Xmas and the sound insulation was so poor that we were even more exhausted after a few days than when we went there looking for a rest! Doesn't have to be quiet during the day.
Whilst there we are hoping to do a mixture of usual things like hiking / nature stuff / a bit of shopping and the scenic highway "circuit". We don't really feel we can go further north because of time constraints.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions as I really must get this booked soon.
Thanks
Julie
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Why don't you look on craigslist (look under Boston metro area, vacation rentals and you'll find things for NH) for rental cottages. I found a cottage advertised there a few years ago and was very pleased.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, hslam, it hadn't occurred to me. Had a quick look and have to say I might find it a bit scary to book this way in case of scams etc. However, it has opened my eyes to what other type of property might be available so thanks very much for that. regards Julie
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:19 AM

North Conway and Lincoln are both very busy areas. But, there are much quieter towns nearby each - Jackson, Woodstock, etc., along with lots of other quieter places to stay in the area.

You will not find quiet and privacy in B&B's or older country inns.

For a three night stay, it doesn't matter much where you stay, as you can easily tour all over every day.

For cabins/cottages, go to www.visitnh.gov, then Where to Stay, then click on cabins/cottages and White Mountains.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 08:19 AM

We had a very nice stay at the White Mountain Hotel and Resort in North Conway, NH about 2 years ago. It was off the beaten track in North Conway, on a secluded, quite hillside location. Has a good dining room and nice views. I'm sure the rates were reasonable since I was looking hard for price vs quality on our NE driving trip.

http://www.whitemountainhotel.com/

Old Jun 6th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

djkbooks
Many thanks, there are so many to look at on there I will have a better look tonight when I get home from work. I note your comments about the older properties and had seen a couple of similar comments when I searched old postings so I think I will take your advice and, sadly because some look gorgeous , rule out the small B & B's now. I guess we are so used to older properties having 18" thick stone walls over here! Many thanks

shorebrau

Thanks for giving me the benefit of your legwork. Good find. From my research I think you certainly did find very good value for quality. Some good special package rates too. When I just had a quick look I was expecting the rates to be a lot higher. If you read this would you answer one question for me - Just looking at it quickly I wonder if it a bit formal. For example, there is a photo of man in shirt and tie at dinner. We are not really tatty but smart casual , definitey no tie, is as much as we can offer on this trip ( and not always very smart casual during the day if out walking etc !). We might be likely to eat out on our travels anyway but is the general ambience around the hotel a bit formal?

Thanks all

Julie