Quick Trip to NYC from VA?

Jun 7th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Quick Trip to NYC from VA?

Here is a crazy idea I just had...my sons (11 & 7) are out of school for the summer beginning June 15. I could take June 15 off work and we could drive from Williamsburg, VA to NYC, park somewhere outside of the city, take a train in, spend two nights and leave the morning of the 17th and be home in time to meet DH (working policeman) for a Father's Day evening.

Crazy idea??
Jun 7th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Sounds like a great idea to me! I love doing spontaneous stuff like this, but my husband doesn't, so I don't usually get to. I've been wanting to go to NYC sometime this summer as well. I live in TN, so it would be an even further drive for me.

I've never taken a train there, so I don't really have any advice, except go for it and have fun!
Jun 7th, 2007, 04:46 AM

Consider this. Drive up to Baltimore and take a bus to NYC from the Baltimore Travel Plaza. The service is very frequent, takes you to mid-town Manhatten, parking is free and even with w people, it will not cost sifnificantly more than driving since most of the tolls are between Baltimore and NY, not to mention the price of gas. If you prefer a train, leave your car at the BWI airport AMTRAK station. Parking while not free is reasonable. The train will be considerably more expensive than the bus.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Reneeinva - Its probably too late for this trip but watch for sales to NYC on Airtran out of PHF. They can be very cheap.
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Birdie - I checked this a.m. and it is close to $1,000. I almost choked. Especially since I have seen some of the great advance purchase prices! Maybe next time. I figure the car/bus/train trip can be part of the adventure!!

basingstoke2 - I never thought about the Baltimore bus idea. Have you ever done that? Thanks!!
Jun 7th, 2007, 06:17 AM

A friend from Washington, DC, always drives 3 hours north to the Metropark railroad station in New Jersey. There is an enclosed garage that costs $5 a day. From there you can take a frequent New Jersey Transit train into Manhattan. From Williamsburg, your drive time would be longer, but the parking situation has appeal.
Jun 7th, 2007, 06:26 AM

I live near Baltimore and have family in NY so I have done it a number of times. The Baltimore Travel Plaza is easy to reach. It is the first exit past the Fort McHenry tunnel and is next to the Best Western Hotel. You can see the Best Western from I95. Weekday fares are $69 each RT - a bit more on weekends and holidays. One RT ticket is not too much more than the just the tolls you would pay back and forth. Check Peter Pan Bus lines for further info and schedules.
Jun 7th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

basingstoke2 - pack your bags!! Greyhound is having an online sale - $35 each roundtrip!
Jun 7th, 2007, 07:12 AM

If you're up for the long boring drive up 95, I would also recommend parking at Metropark - its about a 40 minute ride right into downtown Manhattan. Frankly, I hate the drive and would recommend either taking the Amtrak (which can be a little pricey - if you go over a weekend, you can expect to spend about $100 PP each way) or the bus from Baltimore, which is substantially cheaper and only about an hour longer than taking the train.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
Jun 7th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the tip. I just might.