Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Questions re: food in GTNP, YNP and GNP?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2016, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier in August, and I'm at that point in my trip planning where I am concerned with the small details. We are flying from Texas, and have reservations at Signal Mountain Lodge (GTNP), Old Faithful Inn and Roosevelt Lodge (YNP), and Lake McDonald Lodge and Many Glacier (GNP).

From what I understand, there are no refrigerators in these rooms. I would like to stock up on some foods for our breakfasts and lunches that I would want to refrigerate (planning on dinners in the various park lodge spots), but since we are flying, bringing a cooler from home is not an option. I could buy a cooler upon landing, and then just leave it when its time to go home, but I thought I would post here and see if any one had any other ideas. Also - is ice readily available at the parks for restocking our cooler if that's the way we go? Because I don't see one batch of ice lasting the five days we are inside Yellowstone.

Thanks in advance,
Annalynn
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Buy a cooler. A block of ice might well last five days, particularly if you leave it in your room rather than in the car which will get warmer during the day.
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 12:40 PM

Yes, buy a cooler. When we need to make a purchase such as this, we do a search to find stores near the airport. If there's a convenient Target, we order on line and the item is waiting for us at the service desk when we arrive.

Ice is available one way or the other: grocery stores, gas station convenience stores, etc. No matter how much ice costs, it is cheaper than eating every meal in a restaurant.

HTtY

PS On long trips we have several times bought a coffee maker at Walgreens and left it behind when we returned home. It has always paid off big time.
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 02:34 PM

I have a nice collapsible cooler that I've used for years; lightweight, does the job (lots of sizes, shapes available on google). We have done the coffee maker thing, too (Mr. Coffee at Walmart can be 10$), also good for hot water for making cocoa and tea and for making premade meals and snacks like pasta, etc.
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 02:40 PM

Dry Ice should last 5 days.
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Looks like I'm buying a cooler then.
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 07:19 PM

Old Faithful Inn has ice like any hotel. Not sure about Roosevelt. I never looked for bags for sale in the park. If you go up to the Mammoth area, Gardiner,MT is about five miles away and has a good little grocery store.
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 12:55 AM

The entrances to Yellowstone are so close to towns (Gardiner, West Yellowstone, etc) that I would venture out of the Park mid-trip and restock with food and ice. Both of these towns have legitimate grocery stores. Stock up first in Jackson and then in a continuous town for Yellowstone. Don't forget plates, roll of paper towels, plastic ware - and consider buying a case of soda/water or whatever you drink. Even if you just had lunch and beverages for your touring, it saves a lot of money.

Also keep in mind some of these continuous towns for dinner if you tire of Park Lodge food - shorter on atmosphere but better on price and food options. We enjoyed talking to some real locals about things like living in Montana/WY in the winter.
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 01:04 AM

Don't know what room you have at SMlodge but in some there are refrigerators(the unit with lakeviews).
Ice is avalaible at SML at the desk.
Idem at Many Glacier(don't know at Lk McD and OFI).
Ice is sold in store and gas station BUT more expensive in the parks than outside.
And nights could be relatively fresh and so ice is necessary for the days and could be unnecessary for the nights.
The two last years we buy only for the days...
To dine :
- Peaks at SMlodge is terrific;
- Obsidian room at OFsnowlodge is far better than OFinn
- the restaurant at MGhotel is good but you can have to wait, the garden restaurant at SWiftcurrent has some good items.
I don't know the one at Lk McD lodge as we lodge at Apgar regularely..
ERik
Old Jul 21st, 2016, 09:19 AM

When I've flown to a destination to begin a camping vacation, I've packed a cooler similar to packing a suitcase and checked it like a piece of luggage. Then you have your cooler when you arrive.