Questions on Carmel/Monterey hotels

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on Carmel/Monterey hotels

Has anyone stayed at the Monterey Plaza Hotel, Carmel Valley Ranch, or the Monterey Marriott (which was recently renovated)?

We're looking for a nice place to spend 1 night before heading up to the Four Seasons in San Francisco. However, the famed Pebble Beach places (eg. Inn at Spanish Bay, Casa Palmero, etc.) are just WAY too expensive for us. Would like to stay around $300-$350 or less. Prefer a modern and pristine place over an old B&B, unless it's really clean and nice.
- Does anyone know if there newly-renovated or recently-built properties in this area? Any recommendations you have would be so appreciated!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:36 AM
stjohnbound

I did a lot of research on a newly rennovated hotel in Carmel called Tradewinds. Their most expensive room has a balcony with a view of the ocean. The hotel has an Asian look. We haven't stayed there yet because our trip was postponed but I can't wait! It was recently featured in Architectural Digest.

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:39 AM
stjohnbound

Forgot the website:

http://www.tradewindsinn.com/

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:47 AM

I think you would enjoy the Monterey Plaza Hotel with a bay view. They often have specials on their web-site. It's convenient and plush.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Jande:
I just posted on another question and noticed you had ttt. In your case, if you are just looking for a nice place, I can recommend Carmel Valley Ranch. The suites, view, service, etc. were great for the price, especially when kids are along. It is not near the ocean; but as the name says: in the valley. If I were going for romance and the ocean, I would stay again at Highlands Inn or Tickle Pink; but they are pricey.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Yes, we have stayed at the Plaza and enjoyed it very much. The property is beautiful with a rooftop spa, two great restaurants (Schooner's and The Duck Club) and in a nice location.

We have also enjoyed stays at Tickle Pink and Highland's Inn. This time we are looking to stay somewhere in Carmel, considering the Tradewinds or La Playa. ***kim***
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:39 PM

The Marriott is quite nice, but not right on the water.

Your comments about "old B&B" does not really apply in Monterey ... take a drive along the street over by the Bath House and see the wonderful B&Bs there
(actually located in Pacific Grove). I would not rate any of these are "old" ... old houses yes but wonderful facilities and world famous.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

That's good to know - THANKS! I still haven't decided which place to stay at, but your responses are really helpful!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Let us know what you decide on! BTW, the Bath House Curt was referring to is actually The Old Bath House and it is a very nice restaurant in Pacific Grove. We have enjoyed several dinners there. It's great! ***kim***
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Glad to hear the Marriott's been renovated. The lobby has always been nice, but the rooms were tired. Some of the rooms overlook Monterey Bay. The pool is nice and we enjoyed the spa as well. We haven't stayed there the last three years (stayed at Hotel Pacific instead, which is more upscale and includes buffet breakfast). A word of warning: the price of parking and breakfast at the Marriott is obscene. The good part about the Marriott is the location. It's easy walking distance to the wharf and because it's in downtown Monterey, within a stone's throw from some really good restaurants and pubs. Also, depending on when you're going, if in season you can take advantage of the free trolley rides that go from downtown Monterey to Cannery row (ending at the Aquarium) and back. There's also a bike shop close by where you can use the bike path which has terrific views and wonderful places to stop.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 05:42 AM

We stayed at the Monterey Plaza this past August. It is certainly the "nicest" place to stay in town, and certainly the most "hotel" like. If we returned we would stay there again.

Its location is great, a few blocks to the Aquarium and a couple blocks to the very overrated wharf area.

Ask for or book a bay view room. If they can't guarantee that, then stay somewhere else. There is an annex to the hotel, across the street, with no water views. If you stay there you might as well stay elsewhere. From your balcony you really can see sea otters frolicking in the kelp outside in the bay. While most are a little bit in the distance (the hotel provides binoculars), a couple of times an otter lolly gagged right below our balcony. Also, there are numerous harbor seals sunning themselves on the nearby rocks.

The rooms seemed updated and were of good size and had good amenities. It is not a Four Seasons, but there is no such place in Monterey. Staff/concierge were very helpful. Pretty public areas and a great spot for bkfst/lunch. Bkfst was just OK, however. One downside is there is no pool - although I'm not sure if many places there have one. While it may be heresy to say, we took the short drive to Carmel and we were very unimpressed. Yes, it is physically beautiful but, it is just like a West Coast East Hampton, except more pretentious and way more expensive. (Think $6 for a single scoop ice cream cone; $25 for a small container of artisanal grape leaves stuffed with goat cheese. The fact that I remember this last one seems to put things in perspective.)

The aquarium is the terrific and worth the detour.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:46 AM
jq

If you are paying $300-500 per night for a bed, who is worrying about paying $6 for a cone in Carmel??? The 17 Mile Drive to Carmel has to be one of the most scenic ocean drive views and experiences in the world and should not be missed. Lots of people have learned to suffer thru the inadequate lodgings to enjoy the beauty of the area.