Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Questions for Spirobulldog on Canyonlands reply!!!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I wasn't sure you would see my reply and I wasn't sure how to contact you so I had to do it this way LOL I looked at your pictures(very nice). Were they all taken in October? The date on the top says October 19th I think . It looked nice out. I think were going to go the first week in October and I was a little worried about rain. What times of year have you been there and whats typical weather?? Thanks Gail
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM

I have been to Utah 3 times and going again on the 26th of this month. Went to Zion Oct 20ish one year and went to Cap Reef(the post that you saw) on Oct 14-18. Both times fall colors were good. I went a few years ago over Memorial day weekend to Moab. I didn't think that the crowds were that bad even for a Memorial Day weekend. That particular year it was pretty hot though.
I have pretty much covered everything except Bryce, Lake Powell, and The Wave. Bryce is mainly what I am doing this upcoming trip. My wife is coming with me on this trip and I am going to see a few things again. I don't think it has ever rained on me in Utah. I don't think you have much rain to worry about in the areas that you mentioned. If it does rain, do not under any circumstance be in a canyon. Flash floods happen so quickly you wouldn't be able to escape most of them. I think the rainfall there is generally over with in a hour or so. I would be a little careful of dirt roads should it rain or if they are predicting rain.

The first week in October would be nice because the crowds have thinned out and it isn't to cold or to hot. Even when it's hot it isn't as humid as where we live(oklahoma) so it didn't feel that bad to me. We do most of are hiking in the early morning and late evening. We try to travel from place to place in the afternoons. It can be a little chilly in the mornings. The temp can vary as much as 40 or 50 degrees in just a few hours. I would think for that time of year, maybe 45 at night and as hot as 85 during the day.

Here are my photos of Arches
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0IatW7FqybsXsQ
picture 73 starts the canyonland from the airplane

Are you pretty much going to Moab and Horseshoe Canyon? An hour down the road from Goblin Valley and the turnoff to HS canyon is Capitol Reef. It has been my least favorite, but it is pretty interesting. I loved the homemade pies there at the Gifford House. I think that around the 1st of Oct might be prime time to pick apples there. The orchard in the park there is just amazing. We were to late for the apples and other fruit.

There is plenty to keep you busy for 6 days. You'll have a great trip. I had no idea that Utah had so much to offer until my first trip there. I have been to 27 of our National Parks now and I think Arches would definately rank in my top 5 favorite. My daughter rates it #1 in a tie with Yellowstone.
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info.We are national park nuts too. We have been to 20 so far and I think Zion was my favorite. We have been to Arches in the past but only for the day so I would like to spend more time. But I have always wanted to go to Canyonlands and when the Aron Ralston thing happened I knew i had to go. We ended up going to Olympic and Mt. Rainier last fall and so this is the year for Utah!!! It is my favorite state. I posted a reply to the other question about I think you said it was only about a mile farther frome the Great Gallery to the Blue John Canyon. Is this right and how much farther is the actual place where the s-log is where he went in? Is that difficult to get to? I am not going to repel I would just like to see it. So the plan is maybe 2 days Arches 3 days Canyonlands and 1 day for either deadhorse or goblin . Is that too much for the state parks could we see 2 in one day . That other thing sounded cool also. Not sure who said it. A slot called smallhorse??? is that right? or the gyser??? I feel like we dont have enough time now with all this stuff suggested. Good weather will help though. Both times we were in Utah it was summer and very hot but no rain.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Little Wildhorse. The problem with the geyser is that you might have to wait a long time for it to go. I think it goes about every 13 hours. I might be wrong about the location of Blue John Canyon and I don't where the s-log is. I think the log would be several miles off, but have no idea of how that hike works, iv'e just read about it a little and the book.
I think you can do Little Wildhorse, Horseshoe Canyon and Goblins all in one day.

Deadhorse Point is in my photos on the other post. It overlooks Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands. It is a similar view to the Grand Canyon. A little more spectacular than the GC, the river takes a dramatic turn.

on the other post I have some pics of Little Wildhorse

a good description for Horseshoe Canyon/Great Gallery and Little Wildhorse can be found on
http://www.toddshikingguide.com/Hikes/Hikes.htm

both Little Wildhorse and Great Gallery are given very high marks by Todd. He doesn't give them a 4 or 5 start unless they are good ones.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:46 PM

October is fabulous in Utah. We spent three weeks: Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Moab and it was fantastic weather and no crowds.