Reload this Page >

Questions about San Antonio??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Rita

We will be in San Antonio for the Women's Final Four in March. What will the weather be like?
Has anyone stayed the the Holiday Inn- Riverwalk?
Give me a suggestions on places to eat on the Riverwalk. Do I need a car??

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Vicki

We stayed at the Hawthorn Suites (family of 5) on a long weekend in November. The Holiday Inn was on a stretch of the Riverwalk a bit out from the "action" but I would think that might mean it was quieter there. Part of the Riverwalk was under construction while we were there (north of Holiday Inn), but we felt the city to be extremely walkable. Even to/from the hotel where we stayed, which was at the upper edge of the "Riverwalk" zone. We were at first disappointed to not be in the thick of things, but later realized it was quite convenient, especially with the trolley to take you everywhere. You DO NOT need a car, in my opinion. Trolleys are great. Food is in abundance at the Riverwalk, but head out to Market Square for good Mexican food (we never made it for food, but did get there for shopping). We had a few meals at the Riverwalk and were pleased with our choices. Taxi driver said the best Mexican food is at Market Square though. We enjoyed SA and will return someday. Can't help you on the weather, but in early November, it was wonderful, 70's and clear, no humidity.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Vic

The weather should be just fine in March. San Antonio has a central core and an incredible number of suburbs that stretch far and wide.

You'll do fine without a car. Shopping, the Alamo, and of course the River Walk are all within walking distance. There really isn't much out in the suburbs, unless you're into military bases.

There are an incredible number of restaurants along the River Walk. Most of them have outdoor dining.

San Antonio is justly famous for Tex Mex and barbeque. Most of the authentic Tex Mex places are off the River Walk. I like the Black Rock, I think it's something like El Peitro Negro. There are many authentice restaurants, on way you tell is that they are kind of down and out.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 12:43 PM
susieq

You definately don't need a car. I'm not sure about your hotel, but if it is on the riverwalk you are good to go. Most places on riverwalk have good food. I wouldn't bother with the chain restaurants (ie hard rock cafe, dick's last resort)..make sure you stop by the martini bar..upper level. Have fun, san antonio is the best!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:01 AM
lana

There is a great Mexican retaurant at the market called Mi Terra and yes do use the trolley (like 50 cents). Let me warn you that there are several vacant buildings downtown and the homeless are very visible. I had not been there for about 10 years until last year and was shocked to see the old dept. stores shuttered and the homeless camping out in the building entrances--just not a pretty sight. SA is overall a pretty city that is not to be missed.