Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Questions about Maui: dinner at Renaissance Wailea? Cliff-diving at Sheraton Kaanapali? And is Kimo's or Hula Grill better for dinner?

Search

Questions about Maui: dinner at Renaissance Wailea? Cliff-diving at Sheraton Kaanapali? And is Kimo's or Hula Grill better for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 11:39 AM
lisa

Heading to Maui in a few days, staying at Renaissance Wailea. We will be getting in around dinnertime, after a very long flight from the east coast, and we will probably be pretty tired. Is the food at the Renaissance Wailea decent for dinner (and is it reasonably priced), or should we drag ourselves out someplace else, and if we should go out, can anyone recommend someplace nearby that is casual but has good food? (Would prefer someplace where we can get some fresh fish or seafood, but nothing too fancy.)

Also, we have booked a Trilogy trip to Lanai one day during our stay. It's supposed to return to Lahaina around 4 pm. I was wondering whether it would be worth it afterwards to drive up to Kaanapali to watch the cliff-diving at sunset at the Sheraton, or is that cheezy & not worth it? For dinner that evening, if we can only choose one, should we go to Kimo's in Lahaina or the Hula Grill in Kaanapali?

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 12:32 PM
Mike

I am sending this to the top because I have also been trying to find out (without much success) if there were any good restaurants near the Renaissance. Trying to decide whether to stay there or Kanapalii where we have stayed many times before. By the way both the Hula Grill and Kimo's are good. I think Kimo's might have slightly better food and atmosphere. If you want casual Hula Grill has seating right on the beach where they serve burgers, pizza and other casual food. It's pretty fun to sit out there with your feet in the sand and they usually have live music at night.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 02:18 PM
lisa

Thanks for the response Mike. If it is any help re: Wailea, on a hosted forum a couple of months ago the author of Frommer's Hawaii book recommended Joe's Cafe in Wailea for dinner. She also recommended Seasons at the Four Seasons. We will probably eat at those at some point, but on our first night, I'm kind of hoping Renaissance Wailea has decent food so we don't have to drag ourselves out too far after a long flight (I've heard their casual breakfast/lunch restaurant the Maui Onion does have good food but I don't think it's open for dinner). Nick's Fishmarket in Wailea is also supposed to be good.
Also, many people have recommended to me the Sunday brunch at the Maui Prince hotel in Makena (I think the restaurant is called the Prince Court), which is just south of Wailea. There are supposed to be some good restaurants in Kihei north of Wailea too -- I've heard good things about A Pacific Cafe Maui there (which was also recommended to me by the Frommer's Hawaii author) and for casual food, Alexander's Fish & Chips which is also in Kihei. All of these are not too far from Renaissance Wailea so I don't think we'll starve!

Since you have stayed in Kaanapali before, have you ever seen the cliff divers? I'm just curious as ti whether it's something that's worth going out of our way to see.

Thanks for the advice on Kimo's vs. Hula Grill. I think we will go to Kimo's for dinner and maybe just go to Hula Grill for lunch the next day.

If anybody else out there has any thoughts....

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 02:52 PM
Joy

Lisa, The Rennaissance Wailea has a wonderful restaurant. The food is very good, with a Mediterranean influence. Also, the Sunset Terrace has a "short order" type of menu-very good. Grilled pizza, chicken wings, and other appetizer-type foods. Maybe, this will be all you would want after a long airflight. We also come from almost the east coast, the midwest, but late in the day, the Sunset Terrace is a wonderful idea. You will love The Rennaissance Wailea.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 02:59 PM
Paul

The Japanese Restaurant at the Renaissance is very good. We ate there last March. We also ate at Hula Grill and loved the food and atmosphere. Kimos has always been outstanding. If I was to choose one, I would probably choose Kimos because it has such a long history of satisfied customers.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 03:48 PM
sammie

Renaissance Wailea Palm Court restaurant has a nightly themed buffet, seafood, Pacific Rim and prime rib. It is well done.
The Grand Wailea has a great seafood restaurant near the beach in a thatched roof building.
The Chart House in wailea is not far from these hotels.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 04:45 PM
Joy

Lisa, The Japanese restaurant, Hana Gion is excellent,however, you do need reservations. Also, they are closed, I think on Thursday. You can"t go wrong with the Sunset Terrace.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 06:28 PM
Rick

You could kill two birds by eating at the Hula grill at sunset,,you can see black rock from there..Their dinner menu
isnt just burgers and pizza, but more "upscale" very good seafood specials..
The cliff diving itself, isnt much..guy lights torches on way out to cliff,,gets to top.. dives in... once.. a good photo op..but nothing to go out of your way for IMO..

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 10:39 PM
Barbara

I think that Hula Grill is much better than Kimos. I remember upscale seafood and interesting appetizers from our trip there 1.5 yrs ago. It is open air, at least the front part and casual since it is on the beach.I remember Kimos having good food, not great and somewhat lax although friendly service. I would vote for a Mai Tai at Sunset at teh Sheraton, watching the cliff divers, then walking back down to the Hula Grill for a wonderful dinner. Maybe go to Kimo's for lunch, but there are lots of other great places to eat, too. I love Longhi's in Lahaina for lunch although my husband gets annoyed with their oral menu. I have had a terrific duck sandwich there as well as wonderful pastas. I always save room for dessert - they are all wonderful. I prefer it for lunch because it can get quite crowded at night.

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 07:05 AM
lisa

Wow -- thanks everybody for all these great answers!

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 09:25 AM
Dave

Lisa:

We stayed at the Ren a few years ago and loved it. The hotel has good food, I think we did the same thing you are planning to do which was eat at the hotel the first night. I think we went with the buffet in the main lobby overlooking the grounds. Very nice.

I might also suggest eating at the Sea Watch restaurant in Wailea for a sunset dinner. Great food, great location overlooking the islands off the coast and just a great experience. I'm jealous. Maui is paradise

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 09:02 PM
Dana

Don't waste your time watching the cliff divers. I was at the Sheraton for a week and never saw the "ceremony"
Definitely Hula Grill. They're casual in
the day, but more epicurean by night.
Much more originality than Kimo's. I like both, but Kimo's wins the lunchtime vote for their hamburgers and Hula Grill for their fish selections.
My mouth is watering thinking about it right now!