Questions about Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading various websites, Fodor's Destinations, and Fodorites' trip reports (old and newish) about Charleston, and the more I read the more I think it's the place we want to go next (well, after Paris, but that's not in the cards just now). It sounds absolutely delightful in every way.

A few questions:

1. We're thinking of mid-September. Will it still be summer-hot, and if so, is that uncomfortably hot? Also -- are we at risk of hurricanes? Should either of those possibilities make us reconsider our timing?

2. The Andrew Pickney Inn looks good in terms of location and relative price. Any personal recommendations/comments/warnings?

3. We're coming from Philadelphia. Ideas for a midpoint overnight stay would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:46 AM

1. It could be really, really uncomfortable in terms of humidity. I remember being in Savannah several years ago in mid-September and taking a 1/2 mile walk and coming back to hotel to have housekeeping staff inquire if it was raining - I was that sweat-soaked. Or it could be a little nicer. Yes, it is hurricane season - but chance of hurricane hitting any one place is small. Still, even if hurricane did not make a scarey arrival, any coastal storm could give ytou rain and thunder for 24 hours.

2. - No clue

3. North Carolina someplace seems logical - but there is really a scarcity of decent places to stay in NC all along Rte 95 - and I have tried on numerous trips Boston-Savannah. I95exitguide gives some info. Once you get south of about Riochmond, VA or perhaps Roanoke Falls on NC/VA border, it is really all about really cheap hotels and low-end chain restaurants.
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:04 AM

We stayed at the Andrew Pinckney in March. It's a good location for walking downtown Charleston.

We liked the hotel. The only issue in March was it was too cold and windy to sit outside for the rooftop breakfast, and there was very limited indoor space.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gail and Barry. Perhaps we'll move the date to later in September/early October -- but not so late that the days are short and the mornings are too cold for the rooftop!

TTT in hope that others will give me their input as well.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Come down I95 to I40 and go to Wilmington for your overnight. Then drive down US 17 to Charleston. It wouldn't be impossible to make it all the way in a long day's drive.
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Gretchen has a great idea about staying overnight in Wilmington (the Cape Fear riverfront downtown is a really neat area, and there are some B&Bs and at least one hotel there).

Also, if you can visit in October instead of September, you'll most likely hit our best weather month here in coastal SC. Also, there will be very little traffic, so taking Hwy 17 is actually a great option. There is a by-pass you can access easily from Wilmington; it's Hwy 31 (Carolina Bays Parkway), just take Hwy 9 north just after you pass through Little River to get to it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Now I'm getting excited. We can certainly do October instead of September, and Wilmington (once I realized it was NC, not Delaware) sounds like a great overnight option. Thanks, Gretchen and BeachDweller.

Any recommendations on B&Bs in Wilmington? After a quick search (I'm about to do a more extensive one, but...), I'm thinking Blue Heaven and The French House look nice (and reasonable).
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:53 AM

kagoo,

as far as Wilmington B&Bs, you're definitely hitting the right areas. Anything within a couple of blocks of Front Street & Water Street is where all the shops and restaurants are. Your preliminary choices put you no more than 4 or 5 blocks away.

We haven't actually stayed at any of the B&Bs, so you may want to check tripadvisor for reviews.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM

If you did decide on Charleston, I know you'd love it! I'm from the NE originally also & Charleston is our favorite coastal SC city/town (& it would be great if you could add 2 nights on at a villa on Kiawah Island - you would not be disappointed). I've been to Wilmington, NC twice, & while it is very nice, Charleston wins hands down! It has such charm! We've stayed twice in the downtown area & twice in Mt Pleasant/Isle of Palms. Last yr, I was in Isle of Palms for a conference Oct 11-12 & the weather was absolutely perfect! My husband really enjoyed spending 1 day touring Patriot's Point while I was in meetings all day! Also, if you do go to Mt Pleasant at all, you've got to try the Mustard Seed restaurant (awesome cuisine in a neighborhood area) or The Boathouse at Breach Inlet (on the marsh between Sullivan's Island & Isle of Palms). Our favorite restaurants in historic Charleston are Blossom Cafe (lunch), Baker's Cafe - breakfast/brunch, Peninsula Grill & Magnolia's for dinner. If you can get a deal, the French Quarter Inn in the Historic District is highly rated.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

OK -- it's October and it's Charleston, with a one-night layover in Wilmington, NC.

Thanks to everyone for your answers and suggestions. Mouse, you anticipated the thread I was planning to start closer to the trip: good places to eat! Thanks for giving me your favorites.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Well, in Mt. Pleasant you REALLY need to eat at SeeWee, north on route 17 for a true low country local seafood place to eat.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 10:34 AM

We visited Charleston this past April. We had lovely weather low 70s and no humidity. We were told summers are HOT with 90% humidity. I would go as late in the season as you can. Charleston is a wonderful city- plenty to do and see. Take a tour or carriage ride, visit the plantations, and just walk the streets and see the beautiful houses. Restaurants are great. Try Viriginias on King and Poogans Porch. The market area is fun at night with shops open and lots of restaurants. Pinckney Inn is in that area. It was one of our choices until we got a fantastic rate at the Holiday Inn historic district. We are also from Philly area, but flew down. Airport is tiny- we were able to land, get luggage, rent a car and arrive at our hotel all in an hour's time! Enjoy charming Charleston.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM

We were going to fly into Savannah, but now I am thinking flying to Charleston and doing a day trip to Savanna. We will be there 5 days. Isn't there more than 1 airport to fly into? Hilton Head or Charleston itself (not sure). From all I've benn reading, Charleston seems to wins hands down? Also, I was looking at the Andrew Pinckeny Inn or Meeting Place Inn? Any free parking? Help!
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM

lindsy, Savannah is not a day trip from Charleston unless you want to drive all morning, have lunch, and drive back.

Savannah is a place in its own right, different from Charleston but not worse than Charleston. Which is better? Strawberry ice cream or chocolate ice cream?

Flying into Hilton Head for either Charleston or Savannah makes no sense at all. Both cities have substantial modern airports with jet service; Hilton Head has turboprop connecting flights.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
DRJ

And if you're a true foodie its got to be McCrady's on Unity Alley.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 09:54 AM

My preference is Chocolate - which is chocolate - Charleston SC or Savannah?
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Charleston is chocolate!
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM

What.