Reload this Page >

Questions about Cape Cod and vicinity

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:20 AM
Joy

Husband and I will be traveling to Cape Cod for 4 days in late Sept. Have a few questions:

1. Is it too much to try to see Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket in this amount of time? If it is, which would you exclude?

2. Which are your favorite towns? I've read a lot about Chattham...any other suggestions? Also looking for suggestions of nice (mid-range price) places to stay.

3. Is it best to fly into Boston and then drive to the Cape? I've read bad things about airport in Boston, looking for other suggestions...

4. Generally, how are fall colors the last week in Sept? Will we miss them? (I realize that every year is different, but GENERALLY...)

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:17 AM
Joy

anyone?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:26 AM
xx

#3 Look into flying to Providence (PVD). Prices are usually better than BOS.

#4. You are going to be to early for color. For good foliage in late September you'll need to venture to very northern VT/NH. Coastal areas are among the last to turn color.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:22 AM
Debby

My question is how ambitious are you? Because of the fact that you must take a ferry or fly into Marth's Vineyard and Nantucket it would take 2 full days to see them both. If you arrived on the 1st ferry and got a sight-seeing tour, or hopped a bus around the Islands taking a little time for shopping, and lunch you could see each Island in one full day.
As for the rest of the cape, from Boston to Plymouth it's about an hour you could drive all along the east side of the Cape to Provincetown in about 3 more(depending on traffic). In the summer it could take several hours more to get where your going. However in September things are a lot quieter. Depending what you like to do, shop around in the towns, ride bikes on the dune trails, take a boat ride to see the seals (in Chatham),the day would be used accordingly. If you just wanted to drive the east side to Provincetown and then the west side back, Yes you could do it in two days. Foliage should be very nice then. If you plan to fly to the Cape you would still need to change planes in Boston. To the best of my knowledge only small planes land in Hyannis, Provincetown, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. Renting a car on the Cape would also be harder and more expensive than at the airport in Boston. Logan really isn't terrible, They are of course trying to be super security conscious for obvious reasons but getting in and out of the airport is no worse than any other large cities. Yes the Boston's Big Dig has been going on for years and does interfere with the airport area but there are rarely huge delays because of it.
Chatham is a very charming little town surrounded on 3 sides by water. The beauty of the cape is the sand dunes and the wildlife and the beautiful picturesque landscape. The towns vary from very touristy (Provicetown) to not at all, Orleans and others. I would also say that the hotel rates will be down from their summer highs and will be plentiful....I would just cruise around and where ever you end up you will be very likely to have a number of choices. Including B&B's. From the peak summer crowds to end of September there's alot of surplus.....Chatham Barrs Inn is one of the loveliest of them all, be sure to check it out, it's on the same road to the lighthouse point in Chatham.
If I had to recommend one Island over the other I would say for purely sightseeing purposes, Martha's Vineyard would have more to see. Nantucket is more quaint and has beautiful beaches and a cobblestone street in the downtown area. But Martha's vineyard has a larger variety from Edgartown, to Oak Bluff and beyond it goes on and on...Of course the famouse Black Dog restaurant and restaurant is there and Mad Martha's ice cream always a favorite.....
Good luck and have fun, chances are you will like it and want to go back anyway......but remember it's a different place without the crowds....and there are crowds in the summertime.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:30 AM
jo

i would avoid driving from logan airport at all costs. Its confusing and trafficky and i live in boston. i take public transportation there. For only 4 days I would just go to marthas vineyard. theres enough to see and do there. theres 3 main towns, great biking, shops and rsts and the ferry ride is much shorter than nantucket. or
go from chatham up to the tip of ptown, the nicest part of the cape with lots of national seashores and ptown is fun to shop and eat in. j

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:51 AM
gc

Joy, here are a couple of links that should help.

www.capecodchamber.org/
www.capecodcanalchamber.org/

1. Yes, it is too much.
2. From Chatham to P'town. Rte 28 along the south coast is iffy, 6A from Sandwhich East can be delightful...IMHO.
3. Boston won't swallow you up. Get to the expressway South to Rte 3 South and over the Sagamore bridge. You'll be able to say that you ate up Boston drivers when you get home.
4. Too early for leafin', but I believe that you will be there during cranberry harvest time. Can anyone confirm?

The Cape Cod scenic railway goes from Buzzards Bay to somewhere...you can find out in the links above. If you're into that sort of thing, it could be fun.

Enjoy!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:27 AM
mark

The Cape is the last part of New England to get the colorful foliage. You'd really need to visit around mid October for the colors.

Providence is easier than Boston but the number flights may be limited. If you travel in and out of Boston outside of traffic hours then Boston is okay.

You may be pushing it trying to visit all 3 places in 4 days. People tend to prefer Nantucket over Martha's Vineyard because it is quieter and more charming but I've never visited either of them.

The Cape which I know very well has many areas to visit. Chatham is nice for cute shops and quiant New England feel. Welfleet, Eastham and Truro have beautiful beaches on the National Seashore. Rt 6a has lots of small shops (art, antiques, etc) from Orleans through Sandwich. Hyannisport can be interesting if you are into the Kennedy lure.