Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Question re: America West service to Hawaii? Found a GREAT price!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found an amazing RT price from Boston to Kona on America West for next summer ($579)...anyone have experiences with this airline??
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:54 PM

if that's a good price, you're comfortable with it, just do it! basically economy classes are the same in all airlines and once you're there who cares, you'll be in Hawaii! I've traveled on 25 hour trips to Africa and all the inconveniences of travelling "coach" disappear once you step off the plane. if you need any tips on Kona, let me know, i live on the Big Island. ALOHA!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

matnikstym: Thanks so much! You're right about it all being worth it when you step off the plane in Hawaii This would be our 3rd trip to the BI, but I still feel like there is so much for us to see and do, so I may take you up on your offer!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:40 AM

America Worst has merged with US Scare-ways and it's a mess...(see my other thread about the lost leg. Better yet, DON'T, it will scare you).
Hopefully by the time you fly next summer they will have worked out at least half of the 50,000 kinks.
On the other hand, all of the other airlines are almost as bad.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:42 AM

And I would wonder where you found an airfare for America Worst? If you go to their website or call their toll free number, it automatically goes to U.S. Scare. AWA doesn't really exist anymore.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I flew America West/US Air for the first time, to Puerto Vallarta from Seattle this summer. I usually fly Alaska Air but their fares have gotten way expensive. Anyway the flight was perfectly fine. No problems.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Yikes, hopefully they have worked out some issues by next summer!

We went ahead and booked it because it was so cheap. We have gone to Hawaii the last 3 summers, and I have never seen flights that low from Boston, especially not to Kona. The lowest I've seen to HNL, which is usually the cheapest to fly into, is about $650 in the summer from BOS.

We found it originally on Orbitz, then booked it through the US Airways site. It says that it's being operated by America West.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually that was the only confusing thing about flying them... they can't seem to decide which name they are working under (i.e., for airport signage, boarding passes, etc.).
;-)
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:31 AM
TheWeasel

"Yikes, hopefully they have worked out some issues by next summer! "

Beachgirl, surely by now you know that asking about a particular airline is going to bring some responses from a disgruntled customer, usually with some goofy not-so-clever renaming of the airline in question (America Worst, etc.). I would hope you wouldn't base your flying decisions on that.

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:36 AM

America West purchased US Airways. The goal is for everything to be called US Airways someday.

The America West planes will be painted the US Airways colors.

America West also purchased the problems that got US Airways in trouble.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:27 PM

Haven't flown them since the merger but did fly several times to Phoenix on AWA and had good service and on time. I was interested where you were able to find that rate as it's better than anything we've found so far.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Hulajake: I was thrilled with the price! We actually booked it 11 months out, which is so far in advance, but it was just so cheap! We have gone to Hawaii the last 3 summers, and I have never seen anything that cheap from Boston, especially to Kona, which is usally more expensive to fly to.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:39 PM

Wow, you've planned for next year already. I'm too jealous. Good for you. I checked rates from our area in VA and flights are running over $700. So, you're headed back to Big Island? Are you doing two islands again this trip? Don't think we'll be back for a few years. Our son just started high school and I'm not sure how many family vacations are in our future. DH and I hope to head back to Maui when he's off to college and we can travel in September. Good luck with your planning.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sherrie: We only planned this early because this flight is so cheap! And because that fare only worked for the BI, we will defnitely go there, and probably one other island. (Maui maybe?)Plus, after next summer, we will be getting more serious about buying a house and starting a summer, so we grabbed this fare Any other fun trips in your future?
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Hi beachgirl,

My husband and I JUST flew out to Kona on American West a couple weeks ago. We flew out of Philly -- USAir between Philly and Phoenix, and America West between Phoenix and Hawaii (into Kona, out of Honolulu). The flights couldn't have gone better! Right on time, even though we flew home in bad weather. The America West planes are a little old, but they were comfortable and roomy and the flight attendants were super-friendly.

Another nice bonus -- the flights to Kona aren't as crowded as to Honolulu. The flight attendant told us to move to the back section and we'd have our own rows. Kinda like first class (without the "free" champagne) for $600.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

karameli: Thanks for sharing your recent experience! I still can't get over the price, we just never see fares to Hawaii (esp. Kona or Lihue) for that price in the summer.

The only thing I don't like about it is the 3x3 configuration of the seats, we like the 2x3x2 that we usually have on American. Hopefully we will get lucky as you did and get our own aisle! Thanks again

Oh, BTW, did you post a trip report?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:15 AM

We've been looking into something closer to us on east coast. Can't get excited about Mexico, so don't know what we're doing. I have been looking into Grand Cayman, although DH and DS want to visit Grand Canyon (big difference), so that could be in our future. I'm not all that "outdoorsy" if it isn't the beach, but we might give it a try. I've been lurking on travel sites trying to get up to speed on what to do and where to stay at Grand Canyon. Lucky you to be going back to Hawaii. I'll enjoy reading your posts as you plan.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:42 AM

We're in Texas and are so close to Mexico (Cancun, etc). We've tried Playa del Carmen and Cancun a few years ago and will not be back. Not a good place to take your children (too much drinking including in hotels, vendors on the beach, topless). Some people are OK with the above issues even with children, but I don't feel it's good for MY children.

The kids, however, can't get enough of Hawaii and would go back again and again. We have our revenue tickets & reward tickets lined up for 2007 already. Yippee !!!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:22 PM

We flew AW/Midwest to Kauai in May. On the return flight, the AW agents at Lihue could not check our bags all the way home because they could not find our airport (admittedly small) even when we gave them the code.

A GREAT Midwest agent in Phoenix actually went through the cargo hold and hand checked the bags for our home airport.

Maybe not relevant for you, but Midwest has excellent service!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Sherrie if you do the Grand Canyon make a side trip to Sedona actually It's in Oak Creek Canyon but Junipine resort is very nice. It's not really a resort but a great place to relax we got a two bedroom creekside condo with a hottub on the deck. Did this last Jan. for our anniversary and were looking at going back soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -