Question on Sheraton Moana Surfrider

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to spend Thanksgiving in Honolulu, and got a special deal for a 1-King City View room at Sheraton Moana Surfrider (in the Historic Banyan Wing).

We read some reviews about the old smell and the noisiness of the room. Wondering if anyone who has stayed there (in similar room) had any problem with smell or noise.

Would it be better to stay in the historic wing or in the contemporary wing?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 07:42 AM

tt
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 04:43 PM

I stayed at this hotel last fall...and really liked the historic feel to the lobby and the museum upstairs.

I actually requested to stay in the Banyan wing, but got the new wing instead. While the room was nice, and we had a partial ocean view - I still can't help but think I missed out on something special by not getting a room in the Banyan Wing!

Whatever you do, don't miss out on the outdoor lounge behind the hotel - under the huge Banyan tree. Lovely atmosphere and great entertainment. Also, spare some time to sit on the front porch in the rocking chairs and watch all the action go by!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Aloha, That hotel has been a family favorite for decades.It is a great hotel.We took some visitors to the Banyan Tree court recently to relax and enjoy the Hawaiian entertainment.Some co-workers had a room there about 6 months ago as they had a party,did not mention any smell...If you are uncomfortable let the front desk know and they should take care of you..I agree with sitting in the rocking chairs.Have a great trip.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:51 AM

My wife and I are also going to be staying there in early November. We have a choice of a deluxe ocean view room in either the Diamond wing or the Tower. Which one would be preferable if the ocean view was the primary consideration?
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 10:05 AM

We stayed at the Surfrider last December and enjoyed it. We had a room in the Historic Banyan Wing with a great view of the beach and Diamond Head. The King rooms in the Banyan wing are very small but it really didn't bother us much as we weren't in the room all that often. I don't recall a smell at all. I can see where a city view room may be noisy with all the street activities and performers on the sidewalk but depending on how early you turn in it may not be an issue.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 11:28 AM

This is a great hotel in a great location.
I have stayed in both the contemporary wing and the historic banyan wing, and I much preferred the contemporary wing. Our Ocean front room on the banyan wing smelled so bad that we transferred to a partial ocean view room on the contemporary side. Although the view wasn't as great, we were much happier!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I've decided to stay in the Contemporary Tower.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 04:23 AM

Nettie77 and others:
We are scheduled to stay in an ocean view room in the Banyon Wing over Christmas but I am now concerned about the smells that you mention. Surely you aren't talking about that yucky "cheap hotel" smell that is sprayed in some places?
How long ago did you stay there? I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one who notices things like this; my husband thinks that I'm nuts.