Search

Question for Utahtea

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Utahtea

Utahtea (or other experts)

I was trying to tell someone about a drive we took when we went to Tetons many years ago but I don't remember the details. I remember we drove out of the Tetons and up through Idaho and for a long time we just drove through miles of what looked like golden wheat fields. Then we passed through a national forest in Idaho that had two spectacular waterfalls that had viewing areas. Then we kept going along that road until we were right outside Yellowstone where there was a bear and wolf "rescue" resort. Supposedly the bears had to be rescued because they were the kind that had become dependent on eating out of trash cans and hanging around people areas. Do you know the highway this scenic drive is on? And is the bear place still there? I thought it was very nice amd I wanted to recommend it to someone.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Was it Highway 22 from Jackson to to West Yellowstone, via either 26 or 22? There is a map which may be useful at:
www.nps.gov/yell/ppmaps/acfca9%2Egif

I suspect the "rescue resort" was the "Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center" in West Yellowstone:
www.grizzlydiscoveryctr.com
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much drsawyers. I don't know if that was the drive or not, but the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center was definitely where we went. Visiting the website reminded how much we enjoyed this stop. For anyone who is interested I certainly would recommend it.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:40 AM

My first message was a bit garbled. The most likely route through Idaho would be Hwy22 from Jackson and then US20 from Ashton to West Yellowstone.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:46 AM

The waterfalls may have been Upper and Lower Mesa Falls (http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/caribou/Targ...ls/welcome.htm), which suggests that you took the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. There is a (not very good) map at:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/caribou/Targ...afalls/map.htm
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Yes now that I looked at the pictures of the falls in the website I'm sure that is it. This is a good side trip by the way if you are just looking for a pretty drive. Thanks for your help drsawyers.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:00 PM

Those falls are on a road just out of Ashton, Idaho--to the east. We stopped to eat there one time, saw the sign, and decided to check it out. The falls are shown on my Wal Mart Rand McNally Atlas.

Another neat feature at the site was an old, shut down lodge that used to house the rich as they were on there way to Yellowstone. There once was an entrance to the park in the area. They were taking donations to renovate it. I'd love to hear how that is coming along.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:11 PM

I'm glad someone else had the answer because I didn't!

Utahtea