Search

Question for Locals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Darren

Question for Locals

I will be in NYC from Febuary 5-8. This is my 3rd trip to the city but I have a question for the locals. I have a dinner reservation at Windows on the World, downtown atop the World Trade Center for 5:30. Do you think that we will have time to make it back midtown to the Palace Theater for an 8:00 curtain of Aida? I am assuming so but I was curious as to how long it will take at what I know is a busy hour. Thanks

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 02:04 PM
elaine

Sorry but it's hard to say
The trip from the WTC to theater district could take 15 minutes if you are very lucky and 45 minutes if you are unlucky
Be sure to tell Windows when you arrive that you have theater plans so they will not plan a leisurely pace
Pre theater is as you know is crazy around Broadway
I would look into booking a car service to pick you up at Windows about 7:15; problem is too many car services won't go one-way only to the theater district, they will insist on a pick-up after the theater as well (to take you back to your hotel) If your budget can handle it, go for it, inquire about price in advance
There are many car services
one popular one can be reached at
212 777 7171
or your hotel can recommend one

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:44 AM
LOCAL

no. dinner will take more than 1.5 hrs first drink to outside WTC. no cab will take you up.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:57 AM
howard

It'll be tight. The question is, "Do you would want the stress of worrying over dinner whether or not you'll make it? I'd recommend going somewhere closer so that you can have a worry-free, stress-free leisurely dinner.
If you decide to still go to Windows, I think you'll be able to get a cab there. (I'm not sure what the previous poster meant!)

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:08 AM
AC

Hi Darren:
I am not a big fan of the Windows on the World, but never mind that...
Be sure to let the waiter know you have theater plans. Go downstairs and take the #1 train uptown. You should try to be on the subway by 7:15 the lastest.
Get off at 50 Street & Broadway. The theater is located between on Broadway and 46th ST. Much easier than trying to cab it uptown during rush hour.
The MTA website with schedules, etc is www.mta.nyc.ny.us.
Have a great time and welcom to NYC