Question about layover at Honolulu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family (DH, teenage daughters, and myself) have about a 4 1/2 hour layover at the Honolulu airport, coming back from the BI. Is there a beach nearby that we could hit for awhile, given the time frame that we have? I read that the Aloha Tower Marketplace is also nearby--Could someone tell me a little about that, and whether it's doable if a beach is not possible? Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Nearest beach would be Ke`ehi Lagoon -- not within walkable distance, however.

Aloha Tower Marketplace is about 5 miles away -- taxi will cost you about $15 each way; travel time will be 20-30 minutes each way.

Assuming the "4-1/2 hour layover" is from arrival time, to departure time, realize that you'll need to be at your gate 1-2 hours before departure. So you've really only got 2-1/2 to 3 hours of actual "layover" time.

HNL Airport has lots of shops and eateries and is a great place for people watching. I'd suggest you just stay put, and r-e-l-a-x.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tip. I myself would probably opt to just stay at the airport, but I'm sure my 14 & 17-yr-old daughters are going to want all the extra beach time they can get! (Gotta get in that last-minute tanning, you know!) What's Ke'ehi Lagoon like? Is it a decent, sandy beach? Thanks for the input!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:24 PM

If you do manage to get to the beach, other than the public showers (if any), how are you going to clean up before your flight back to the mainland? I can't imagine taking a 5+ hour flight with sand and suntan lotion stuck to my body...not to mention stuck in places we can't discuss on this website. And where were you planning to get towels? Also- how you were planning to get a cab to come back to the beach to pick you up to take you to the airport, where you have to go through security, etc, again.

Not worth the effort in my estimation.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 01:26 PM

I agree--I wouldn't go anywhere with that amount of time. I wouldn't go to Ke'ehi Lagoon for the beach, nor Aloha Marketplace considering the traffic. If your layover happens around rush-hour, or worse, an accident, then you will risk missing your flight. Just stay put, relax, have a cappuccino, or shop for last minute gifts.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM

There is a nice garden at the airport.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:30 PM

In about 20 minutes, you could be at Ala Moana Beach (across from the shopping center). There are showers there. Just be careful returning to the airport if it is anywhere near rush hour, allow 45 mins to an hour return. Of course, if you've already checked in to your mainland flight flight, you won't need to get there 2 hours in advance...more like 1 hour should be enough for security line.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks--It's nice hearing that *maybe* we won't have to sit at the airport for more than 4 hours, followed by sitting another 8 hours on the plane! We'll be at the airport on a Saturday (end of our spring break)--Would the traffic be any better (or worse) than rush hour on the weekdays?
What would be the best way to get to Ala Moana beach--cab, bus? Thank you!
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 06:35 AM

I'm not sure if you have considered it but about 3 miles from the airport is Pearl Harbor. It would be a quick bus ride (Oahu has a GREAT bus system) and I think it would be more memorable than a trip to a beach (you'll be boarding a plane all sandy even if you do get to shower at the beach) and there is nothing at Ala Moana that you can't live without. If you go there, you are getting into a traffic area and could end up with only 30 min to shop.

But Pearl Harbor is doable...it's close, and you can control how long you are there. Google it to see hrs. etc.

Sounds like you are going to have a great trip

Destin
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 07:44 AM

I really do not think you'll have time to go to any beach, nor would going to the beach be an enjoyable experience. You'll have all your carry-ons to drag with you, which would concern me because there's a large homeless population in Ala Moana Park. Then you'll be sitting on a plane for several hours all sandy and sticky from sunscreen. I lived on Oahu for a year and the only time I would count on traffic through downtown being light is Sunday morning. Four hours in an airport isn't fun, but neither is missing your flight and being at the mercy of an airline to get home.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 08:08 AM

In response to the carry on's, there are lockers you can lock them up in while you go.

You would have time to check out pearl harbor and it will cost you only the bus fare. if you didn't want to waste the time with the bus, a cab ride would be fast and cheap also.

I lived in Hawaii for 10 yrs while in school and to me, Pearl Harbor wil always be the most memorable.

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM

No more storage lockers at HNL (or any other US airport), since 9/11.

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I'm with you allison- I would rather spend 4 hours riding around than 4 hours in an airport.

I wouldn't take a bus..while our buses go everywhere, (and Ala Moana is a pretty straight shot) they can take forever!

A cab will be about $25 each way. You could rent a car for the same amount, and if you do it a Avis/Thrifty/ Budget or any of the others AT the airport, it shouldn't take long to get the car, especially since you won't be waiting for your checked bags.

As far as being sandy, the showers at Ala Moana are inside dressing rooms..you can take your clothes off and use soap. My husband does it many mornings between surf and work!
Since you'll know you plan to do this, pack your carryons accordingly.

If the weather is not cooperative, Ala Moana Center, Ward Enter and Aloha Tower marketplace are all along that same Ala Moana Blvd.

Saturday traffic is usually more consistent, and unless there is some thing (baseball??) starting at the stadium the same time as you head from town towards the airport, traffic shouldn't be bad.

Another option would be the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet...You'll get lot of sun while shopping for cheap souvenirs there, and it isn't far from the airport. Of course, there are no showers there.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks--I knew Pearl Harbor is close to the airport, but I figured that going there that late in the day around 2 pm) would necessitate standing in line for an hour or more to get tickets. (Plus, my girls are just not that into history, contrary to my efforts to instill my love for history in them!) I think we'll check out the cabs or possibly a car. I'm not too worried about sunscreen/sand--After a week of beaches, that just isn't going to be a big deal to us anymore.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 09:37 PM

By the way allison, I drove this this afternoon (Saturday). It is 4.6 miles to Aloha tower marketplace and took 9 minutes in average (not heavy) traffic. Continuing on, I got to Ala Moana Park in five more minutes, so a total drive of 14 minutes.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, and the encouragement! Would love to try to do either Ala Moana or Aloha Tower Marketplace...
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Of course, Aloha Tower Marketplace is MY best rec....

If you land in Honolulu and decide the beach is not for you, that may be your best bet for shopping and dining in a relaxing environment before heading back home.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:04 AM

I second the Pearl Harbor recommendation. I think every American should see it. Granted you would have to move quickly for a taxi and lines, etc, at 2pm, but if your luggage is checked through for your mainland flight it should work.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Pearl Harbor closes at 3pm, and often times they give out the last tickets at noon, depending on the crowds. So if you go at 2pm, there may be a chance that you won't get to board the memorial.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM

USS Arizona Memorial is open until 5pm. The last tour starts at 3pm.

http://www.nps.gov/usar/index.htm

Aloha Tower Marketplace is nice.