Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Put West Side Story at the top of your must-see list!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw West Story last night and it's a dazzling winner! We were overwhelmed! Everything about the show is wonderful.....the music, the performances, the sets and, above all, the dancing! Watching the show, I was reminded of a critic's comment after seeing the tryout in Boston...."an expecially vivid reminder of the sad demise of flashy choreography in today's musicals."
As for the bilingual aspect, they eliminated the subtitles during the Boston previews as being unworkable. There's not that much Spanish, and you don't have to know the language to understand what's going on during those segments. One of the songs, "I Feel Pretty," is sung entirely in Spanish with absolutely no loss in effect. Another, "A Boy Like That," starts off in Spanish and segues into English. In both cases, the English translations are listed in the program. All in all, the addition of Spanish has definite positive impact on the show's effectiveness.
The female lead, Josephina Scaglione, a 21-year-old classically trained singer from Argentina, is outstanding, and this show will make her a star.
So, don't wait, get tickets now! The best seats for this show have got to be the front mezzaine. I would NOT recommend sitting to close to the stage, as you'd miss the total impact of the choreography.
PS: As a kid, I saw the original. I loved it then....but I can't believe I was as overwhelmed by the show as I was last night!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 06:19 AM

Howard I just finished reading a great article (not a review) about the production in tomorrow's arts section of the NY Times. You will enjoy this article - a lot of background info on the revival, info about the Latino population changes in NYC, and views of Sondheim, Laurents, etc. I have tickets to go in three weeks and can't wait especially after reading your post. Did you know that Lin-Manuel Miranda did the new Spanish translations?

Thanks for the great review! Let's see what Brantley has to say (ha ha)!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh, good to know HowardR. Maybe I need to find some tickets first and THEN book the flight?! I loved the movie and adore the music. Thank you!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Here's a link to the article if anyone is interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/theater/15cohe.html

My tickets are 16th row center - should be fine.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Thanks Centralparkgirl. Great article. And thanks Howard for the review.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cpg for the article info. It'll be at the top of my list when I start reading the paper later today. Yes, I did know about Miranda serving as the translator. It is mentioned in the program with a note to the effect that "Sondheim approved it." The 16th row should be fine for viewing. I strongly feel that you can't get the full impact of the brilliant choreography unless you're able to view full panorama of the ENTIRE stage.
starrs, as good as the movie was, it doesn't hold a candle to this production!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 08:43 AM

HowardR - where is the orchestra situated? I was thinking that I sit in Row E off center at the ballet in the NYS Theater and with the deep orchestra pit in front, my viewing of the choreography is perfect. So many Bway productions have the orchestras all over the place - so I was wondering.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM

HowardR, I saw Chita Rivera's shoes from the show in an exhibit at (close your ears) the Wicked Behind the Emerald Curtain tour". I had a little shudder that THOSE shoes RIGHT THERE were the ones she wore! Silly, I know. I would have LOVED to have seen the original Broadway production.

I would have loved to have seen the original South Pacific too. Loved the movie (and Mitzi Gaynor in the movie) but to have seen the show "live" with the original cast?!?! I did see Mitzi Gaynor in the 70's on a touring show of her own and I was in awe.

I just googled to check the original cast of SP (including Mary Martin) and didn't realize that it completely swept the Tonys. Amazing.

And, now (after your earlier post) I am sorry I missed the original Chorus Line.

Maybe 50 years down the road I'll be happy to be able to say I saw Josephina Scaglione in person. Note to self: Gotta book a trip.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM

This is now on the top of my list - I think I'll tickets for WSS and Billy Elliott and make a special trip!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried to get tickets for this when it was in DC but they were sold out. I thought it would be a hit!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Me too, sf.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

cpg, like most old theaters, the orchestra pit is in the usual spot, sort of half under the stage. Remember, this is the historic old Palace Theater where West Side Story is playing. So, row E would be fairly close to the stage.
Starrs, I almost hate to tell you this, but I also saw the original production of South Pacific with Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza. I even have Pinza's autograph from the experience. (I was lucky enough to be from New Haven. In the good old days, just about every major musical opened there before going to New York.)
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM

Starrs, I almost hate to tell you this, but I also saw the original production of South Pacific with Mary Martin and Ezio Pinza.

I had the album - I remember the picture on the cover!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:55 PM

Hey, sf! You could - again
http://cgi.ebay.com/MARY-MARTIN-SOUT...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:34 AM

TIMES review:

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2009/03/...20west.html?hp
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Like the Times reviewer, the other critics liked the show with some reservations. All sesem to be unanimous in their praise of Josefina Scaglione as Maria and Karen Olivo as Anita.
Naturally, I'm disappointed that they weren't out-and-out raves. I still enthusiastically recommend the show. If you're a devotee of the show, then it's definite must-see!
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 04:39 AM

I was surprised to read that Brantley thought it was still very innocent since so many interviews said that Laurents wanted this production to be darker and grittier than the original. I also found it an interesting comment that if you weren't familiar with the story (as so many of us are), it might be hard to follow the plot in act 2 because of the use of Spanish. Still, I can't wait to see it in two weeks!
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

cpg, we thought it was "darker and grittier" than the original, as was pointed out in that previously-mentioned article from last Sunday's Times.
I will have to agree that it might be a little (and I emphasize "little") hard to follow the plot in Act 2 because of the Spanish dialog if you're not familiar with the show. Still, I can't see how it would detract that much from anyone's enjoyment.
cpg, since you are indeed a devotee of the show, I guarantee you'll love it!
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 05:02 AM

I hear you HowardR - I am ready to love it! The NYC Ballet does a fantastic piece that includes the gym scene and the rumble and Anita always steals the show. I try to see it when they're offering it - just saw it last month again.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Ah, cpg, we are definitely on the same wave length. We, too, have always enjoyed the West Side Story Suite at the NYC Ballet. And, I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that, as the critics wrote, the Dance at the Gym and America are two of the sbow's high points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -