Reload this Page >

Purchase airline tickets online?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2000, 11:39 AM
lina

Hello, this is my first time to this forum and posting here. My question is in regards to buying an airline ticket online. For anyone who has purchased an airline ticket on the internet in the past...do you recommend it? What site do you recommend or which have you had any experiences with? I will be flying from PA to CA in July. Any info is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Old May 31st, 2000, 12:31 PM
LCB

We live in up-state NY and have had no problems when making flight reservations on the internet. We like usair.com or travelocity.com or 1travel.com. We have made reservations for Cal., Fla., and Ireland and have had no problems. You should check all the sites, putting in different dates and times, often you get a super rate if you have the time to check different requests.

Old May 31st, 2000, 12:38 PM
betsy

Definatlyl check the individual airlines websites before you check travelocity and such. Airlines sometimes post "internet only" fares that are only available directly from the airline's website. I got a ticket from Providence to San Deigo rt for $189 on usairways.com. I've had no problems with ual.com (United) or usairways.com.
Good Luck!

Old May 31st, 2000, 01:48 PM
sammie

Agree with the last suggestion to check individual air line sites.
ALso call the reservations number of the airlines to get their current posted rates, check on a few dates and times for a good deal. This will give you a basis of comparison. If you get a patient helpful reservation agent on the phone you may find better deals.
Check a couple destination airport prices, flying to LA may or may not be a lot less than San Diego, prices go up and down all the time.
Check air line consolidators, there are usually ads for them in USA Today on Friday,travel section. I have found their prices to be better than Internet.
Internet deals are not always the best prices.
Dont wait much longer for July bookings. consolidators may not have any last minute tickets.
I watch fares on Cheap tickets.com, but their prices lately have not been very cheap. I recently booked thru a consolidator 1-800-cheapair, 800 243 2724.
I hope you enjoy this Fodors site as much as I have, I have been readingit for 2 months.

Old May 31st, 2000, 03:24 PM
Don

I have booked all of my travel online for the past few years, and agree with the previous advice--check around! I would add www.lowestfare.com to your list, since they discount a certain US airline an additional 25% if you don't mind connecting through St. Louis.

Old May 31st, 2000, 03:39 PM
Donna

I like to shop on line, but once I've found the fares and flights I want to book, I go straight to the travel agent down the street from where I work. One must be very, very careful, when completing the online forms. If you type something incorrectly, you'll be stuck with the wrong tickets. Also, when shopping online, you really do need to read everything, and this is a cumbersome prospect, not to mention confusing when you're shopping here, there and everywhere. A travel agent is much more experienced and familiar with all the ins and outs of booking flights than I am - so I let them ensure that I don't overlook something important.

Old May 31st, 2000, 04:22 PM
arjay

What's kept me from e-ticketing is the news story I read a few months ago that pointed out that without a paper ticket you could be up a creek if your flight is cancelled or delayed...Harder to switch your booking to another airline, etc...

Old May 31st, 2000, 04:32 PM
Dee

I've gotten tickets through the internet several times, but only through Southwest, and I love it. You can get on a list where they'll e-mail you their weekly specials. I wouldn't be surpised if most airlines do this. I've never had a problem with ticketless travel. Even when I didn't order through the internet, I'd still do ticketless, so I don't know what would happen if you didn't actually have a ticket. You can print out your receipt/confirmation once you've ordered online and bring that with you, I guess. Good luck.

Old May 31st, 2000, 09:20 PM
Cally

We get airlines tickets on line all the time and have had wonderful experiences. I usually buy them from the airline websites (because they have been the most reasonable for what we want) and they have been great. We use e-tickets all the time and have never had a problem even when I have had to make changes. Good luck!!

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 04:07 AM
John

If you're not buying online airline tickets now, you will! Within just a few years, I predict airlines will eliminate all commissions to travel agents and force you to deal directly with them and the internet portals they have constructed. TAs will be left to work with cruise lines...

I book online every week and have never had a problem, knock on wood. In fact, my first two e-tickets with Continental (way back when the e-programs started) were never charged to my Amex. Pretty cool!

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 04:57 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I've used Delta's on-line reservation system countless times now. Never had a problem. If only I could choose my seats, though.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 05:30 AM
Jaime

I always use priceline.com to buy my air tickets. I got a rountrip ticket from Chicago to Germany for $300, also from Indianapolis to Seattle for $150. No troubles!

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 05:40 AM
FrequentFlyer

I have been purchasing my tickets online for the past couple of years. I have never had a problem of any kind and I purchase probably 15-20 tickets a year for myself and family. I purhased the tickets both directly from the airline's web site as well as from the travel web sites.

Some airlines offer incentives to purchase online such as special internet fares or double rewards ( Southwest ).

I can see absoulutely NO reason why a person would not want 'ticketless travel'. I have had cancelled flights etc. and there was no difference whether I had a ticket or not. The beauty of ticketless travel is you do not have to worry about having the ticket with you. All you need is your ID which you must have anyways.

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 06:31 AM
Christie

I have purchased tickets online through both American and Southwest's websites, and also through Travelocity all with no problems. I love traveling on the E-tickets: nothing to lose!

If you have a frequent flyer acount, like to do spur-of-the-moment weekend trips, or travel frequently on a certain airline, their "internet specials" mailing lists are wonderful! I am going to California from Texas later this month, and I purchased my round trip for $200 on Southwest's internet special deals!

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 09:17 AM
Lina

Thank you very much to all of you whom replied. I am so releived to hear all the good news about ticketless travel. I do a lot of shopping online actually, but I have never purchased any airline tickets online. My roundtrip ticket from Philly to SFO cost me under $330! I am very pleased. Thanks again for all the advice! This is a great site.