Reload this Page >

Princeville Resort vs. Hyatt (Kauai)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 01:57 PM
Josie

I can't decide between these two for our Kauai portion of the trip.

Does it really rain that much in Princeville? What are the major differences between the two resorts and areas of the island?

Thanks!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:12 PM
koa

Both hotels are top notch. Princeville hotel has awesome views and the hotel seems more european in design. Hyatt has a more hawaiian feel, but shipwreck beach is best for sunning rather than swimming. Also depends on the time of year. Right now Hawaii is is the middle of the dry season, so Princeville wont have any major rain like november, december.Both Hotels are worth staying at.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Josie

Does the Hyatt have a swimable beach within walking distance?

What about the beach at Princeville?

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:06 PM
helen

Both are nice, although the Princeville is more unique and the experience cannot be duplicated elsewhere. The Hyatt is a luxury property but a lot like what you will experience at most any luxury property.

The only caveat on Princeville is the greater potential for rain in winter months. Certain parts of Kauai get more rain than any other place on earth.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Josie

How is the Princeville so unique?? Wow! Sounds wonderful!! What makes it so different?

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:34 PM
mary

The view from the Princeville is the hotel's biggest asset. The lobby itself is grand but has zero Hawaiian ambiance, in my opinion.

The Hyall has a more tropical feel.

Overall, I like the Marriott the best (I know that wasn't a choice, LOL)

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 07:00 PM
cherish

If you have kids, stay at the Hyatt.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Josie

no, I'm still open to suggestions! Thank you. I'll check out the Marriot.

No kids. This is for our honeymoon.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Josie

Is this what the rooms REALLY look like?!?
http://www.voyagertravel.com/Kauai_Hotels/Princeville_Resort.htm

I must say, this really isn't what I expected. The bathrooms look very dark and dreary. The rest of the room looks very . . . very . . . uncomfortable.
Are these accurate/up-to-date pictures?

I also found the Hyatt.
The grounds are GORGEOUS, but the room look like a dump.

http://www.voyagertravel.com/Kauai_Hotels/Hyatt_Regency_Kauai_Resort_&_Spa.htm

I mean, what a contrast!

Are the more expensive room any nicer? I LOVE the look of the Hyatt, but I can't believe how run down those rooms look.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:13 PM
koa

I looked at the website and can only say that the pictures are not the best quality. The rooms look better in person, especially Princeville. Any way you asked about swimming beaches in walking distance. The nearest swimming beach to the hyatt is poipu abount a mile away. Princeville hotel has a decent little lagoon, but if you drive around the north shore you can find even better beaches like Kee, Tunnels, Hanalei, Anini and Kalihiwai. What time of the year are you coming? If its summer, stay on the north shore.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Josie

We'll be going in May for our honeymoon.

We really wanted to "go all out" for this trip and stay in a very nice place.

I have to say . . . I'm very dissapointed in Kauai. The resorts just don't look that nice. The grounds at the Hyatt are beautiful . . . but the rooms look like a Motel 6! (nothing wrong with Motel 6, mind you. Just not what I want on my honeymoon when I'm paying a lot of $$)

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 06:07 AM
alex

I don't know what you are expecting but we stayed at the Princeville for two weeks last year. I thought the room was beautiful - gorgeous linens with high thread counts, the bathroom was beautiful green marble, and the view was absolutely the most beautiful I have ever seen. There are these shutters that slide open to overlook Bali Hai and the water. We went in February so it was rainy season but it only rained on and off and we had plenty of sun. Even the rain did not spoil the natural beauty. Additionally, we found the service at the Princeville to be outstanding.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Josie

Alex~
Did you look at the room pictures at this site?
http://www.voyagertravel.com/Kauai_Hotels/Princeville_Resort.htm

Yes, the quality is poor. But did the rooms look like this? To me they look very dark and uncomfortable.

The rest of the hotel looks amazing! What a view, huh? And the pool looks fantastic. I'm just concerned about the room. I really wanted something extra special for our honeymoon.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 06:46 AM
alex

I looked at the pictures and they did not look anything like either of the rooms we stayed in (we switched rooms after 2 nights because we were originally given a room with 2 double beds). Ours looked like the rooms that are on the website (www.princeville.com - click on stay, then, accommodations, then oceanview room). I agree that the pictures on the site you posted are not flattering but to me they don't even look like the same hotel. Maybe these pictures were before new furnishings? I will check at home and see if I have any pictures of the room and I could e-mail them to you if you want. I am not trying to talk you into anything and obviously you have to make whatever decision is best for you. But I could have just sat on the ledge by the window and looked out over the water forever in that room.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:15 AM
nycmom

Josie - I can see why you are concerned about the photos of the Princeville, but I would disregard them. The lighting looks awful and the pictures don't do justice to the place. Have stayed at Princeville three times in past fifteen years (honeymoon and later w/kids) and lunched at Hyatt last summer. Hyatt had lots of kids -- felt more like a family resort. More big groups coming and going. Very beautiful open-air, tropical feeling lobby. Princeville lobby is European feeling but with touches of Hawaiiana, beautiful view of Bali Hai in distance. Great place to have cocktails at sunset!! If you say you're on your honeymoon, they might give you an ocean view or try to upgrade to a junior suite/ocean view. Check the weather in May; that should help you decide -- in winter south side/Hyatt is better -- generally much dryer, calmer waters in winter, closer to Waimea; in summer, north shore /Princeville is the place to be -- unbelievable views and lush scenery, proximity to the town of Hanalei and all the north shore beaches. In rainy season, though, the place loses its appeal. If you like music and get to Hanalei, try to catch a ukulele-slack key guitar workshop at the community center by a husband-wife couple. Farmers markets were great, too -- fruits we've never seen! Enjoy, either way!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:27 AM
susan

We went to Manele Bay on Lanai and to the Four Seasons on Hawaii, and then to Princeville. The view at the Princeville is the absolute best! But the hotel was dank and musty on the days it rained, and the rooms are nothing special. It was by far our least favorite resort, and the pool cant compare to the other places. Still I was happy we saw Kauai and I'm not convinced there are any really posh places on the island (perhaps a condo?)

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Susan

The Princeville has unbeatable view and the experience is truely remarkable. We stayed there this past July. The sunsets and rainbows over the mountians- were remarkable. It was tryly a magical place. The view from the room was fantastic- right on Hanalei Bay. It was on the point. The food was outstanding!

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Bill

Stayed at the Princeville two years ago.
Rooms are nice, lobby is fabulous, views are incredible!!

Beach is so-so, pool is awful.

The island is so small that you can drive to good weather should the rain set in. We had no rain the entire time.

We did drive to the Hyatt for lunch and decided to spend the day and attend that night's luau.

Why not split the difference and stay at both resorts?

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Patrice

I would recommend staying in Poipu at the Sheraton. It's right on a beach that you can swim in and it's walking distance to places you can snorkel at. We booked the Garden View room, but were upgraded without asking to a partial ocean view room. It's also in a great location for watching the sun set.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Sue

I have stayed at the Hyatt Kauai twice in the last few years and have been very satisfied with the property. The pool and lagoon/waterslide area is wonderful. We stayed in Sept. and Feb., neither time had tons of kids. Sept. had a great deal of honeymooners and couples in evidence. Rooms were fine and after visiting Princeville a couple times for day trips, I was relieved we had chosen the Hyatt. Sunny skies were more reliable in the Poipu area. You will have a great time at either property, it is a beautiful island and very romantic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -