Reload this Page >

Princeville or Hanalei bay resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 12:19 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for comments on The Princeville or the Hanalei Bay Resort.

Thank you.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:29 PM
Tammy

I have seen both resorts and they differ from one another. princeville is a very elegant hotel, HBR offers convienence of condo like setting. I felt like the Princeville was very formal-not real aloha like but many like it very much. HBR has gotten some bad reviews the past year but it seemed very nice. In the reviews it sounded like at the HBR you need to stay away from the hotel rooms and book the suites are they are better maintained. the pools at the HBR were very lovely and the view beautiful. Depends on what you want. You can't go wrong with either resort.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:21 AM
bebe

You cannot go wrong with the Princeville. It is beautiful, has a lovely beach, great restaurants. I found the staff to be friendly and very accommodating. If you stay there you WON'T be sorry.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Anthony

Comparing the 2 resorts is like comparing apples to oranges; or to use another metaphor, K-Mart vs Neiman Marcus.
If you are contemplating spending the money to stay at the Princeville ( it is usually 2 1/2 to 3 times the cost per nt)you would NEVER be happy at HBR.
As one of the recent reviewers ( stayed there 10/00) HBR can be compared to a Holiday Inn Sunspree, Aston, or Outrigger hotel property.
The Princeville Resort is a five star resort, with service and facilities to match.
Having said that, if all you are looking for is a decent place to stay in the North Shore, that has the Fantastic views,a nice swimming pool, and is affordable, then HBR is right for you.
If , however, you are looking for a 5 star resort on the North Shore, then there is no choice but the Princeville Resort.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Emily

I vacationed at the Princeville December 1999 and thought it was wonderful. I think you will be very pleased if you choose to stay there. The beach and view is beautiful. The staff is very accomodating. The restaurants were all very good (a lovely brunch is available). I definitely recommend it! Note, it is a more quiet atmosphere, so you may be disappointed if you are looking for nightlife. (I can't comment on Hanalei Bay Resort- I haven't heard of it.)

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Uche

Anthony is right. I just got back from a 2 week vacation in Hawaii. I spent the last 4 days at the Princeville resort in Kauai and it is in a class all by itself. The service and staff were the best I have ever experienced.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:35 PM
lisa

If you look in the "Rants & Raves" section you will see a few not-so-great reviews of HBR. One of them is mine. We loved the gorgeous pool, grounds, beach, and view at HBR but our room and the service were disappointing.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 11:16 AM
DawnCt

We are a family of six going to Kauai for the first time, although we have been to Hawaii before. I have reserved a 3 bedroom unit, OV at Hanalei Bay Resort. It is my "splurge" of the trip. All of our other accommodations are a more economical. I chose it because of the location, condo type accommodations, etc but the bad reviews are scaring me. We will be paying over $320 per night for what shoudl be a terrific location. If it is terrific, that is fine but if it is yucky, now is the time to know. Any other suggestions for nice accommodations, 2 br for August?