Search

Princess Cruisetour

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Princess Cruisetour

Hello: This is my first post. We are travelling on 11 nite cruisetour south from Fairbanks. Family of 10( 6 adults and 4 children-7 mos, 13, 11 and 6 yrs) Interested in tours in Denali NP(info sites)and McKinley. Also independent activities in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan. Anything on the cruise? Weather in late July? thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:22 PM

We had booked a cruisetour last summer, but cancelled after reading about it thoroughly on this board. I highly recommend that you do two seaches with each "cruisetour" and "BudgetQueen" in the seach box, with Alaska highlighted. You'll find tons of great information that way.

Enjoy your trip! You'll love Alaska!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:30 PM

I know this is way off topic but since I am new here and don't know how to post a new thread yet could someone tell me the address of the house used (for the exterior) in Yes, Dear? I am sure it's in L.A. somewhere.

Thanks
Shane

Oh please e-mail me at [email protected] with the address.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:56 PM

You can post a new message by (Surprise!) clicking on "POST A NEW MESSAGE" below the region title (like "United States") over at the top left section of the Forum page.

I honestly can't watch more than 20 seconds of "Yes, Dear"-- it's a truly wretchedly bad "sitcom" (I've had more laughs watching an autopsy). But unless there's some "establishing shots" of a house during the credits, any house exteriors would be shot in a soundstage at Republic Studios, where the atrocity is regularly taped before a "live studio audience".
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:34 PM

It's not on a soundstage. It's in a neighborhood. There are other houses by it. So there is no way it can be on stage.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Then you're probably looking at "establishing shots" (stock or second-unit film)-- probably in a middle-class older neighborhood in the greater LA area. But if they actually are shooting scenes with the actors and there's any audience watching, it has to be on a soundstage-- that show is taped in CBS Studio Center in Studio City.

You can do a lot on a soundstage. After all, very little first-unit footage for "The OC" is filmed in Orange County; the house that serves as the main set for that (awful) show was constructed on a soundstage in Manhattan Beach (background "nature" is blue-screen magic), and even location shooting takes place in LA County sites.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM

We should move this to the other thread-- but I wouldn't spend too much time hunting for the exact house. Middle-class LA-area neighborhoods tend to look alike. Lots of Spanish-style and Craftsman-style bungalows.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:37 PM

The full house exterior is real since my sister saw it. But oh well I will find it.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 05:47 PM

We did the cruise/tour with Princess, starting in Fairbanks, and really enjoyed it. Princess will send you a booklet listing all of the options available at each site (except Fairbanks, where everyone will do the river tour and the gold mine tour--no extra fee). Carefully select the activities you want and sign up for them in advance, especially if you want the long tour into Denali--it fills up fast. Your kids might enjoy rafting and going to a sled dog kennel while some others might want to go salmon fishing or flightseeing. The only activity we did other than Princess was Captain Larry's whale watching tour at Juneau, which I highly recommend (in fact, recommended by this board where I first learned of it). At Skagway we took the bus trip into the Yukon but that probably would not interest the kids. At Ketchikan we went flightseeing, where we landed on a lake and then took a boat trip back to the ship. We saw bear cubs along the riverbank--kids would love it. They also would like the plane experience and landing on water. Only problem is expense--it's not cheap.

Whatever you do, I think you'll have a good time. There are a lot of people who will criticize you for taking a planned tour, but with the age span you've got, I think you've made an excellent choice that will guarantee than everyone has fun.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM

It isn't criticism of your choice, it is of the tour, which those that have the experience there can compare.

11 days, since I assume it includes your cruise??? Is not a lot of time, with a great deal in transit. Also extremely few if any kids are on these tours, very costly option for more than two. BE certain to have plenty of games, batteries, DVD players, twice as many as you think.

As only fact finding- you may not realize what exactly you have purchased?? Usually arrivals into Fairbanks are late afternoon or later, next day you usually have included the boat tour and gold mine- both interesting and worthwhile. Do you have a 2nd night in Fairbanks?? Otherwise you will have a 2 hour bus ride to Denali Park- very nice buses. It is recommended to get there at least a day early so to see Fairbanks, rental car necessary. Especially with the kids- the North Pole is great.

At Denali Park- there are 2 possible tours into the Park included with your package. Natural History tour- completely worthless, mile 16, Tundra Wilderness tour, mile 53. BUT neither is good with a baby. You have NO way out except for the rest stops every 1 1/2 hours. If wildlife is on the road- silence is mandatory. Buses run full. I would rethink this perhaps? Overall, wildlife is far off with binoculars necessary for each person, min. I recommend is 10 power. Kids seldom are interested in scenery, which is the bulk of these tours. It is not a zoo. Denali Park has some other excellent activities to also consider, but you likely on a 4 day add on will have very little time. www.nps.gov/dena

McKinley Princess is out in the middle of nowhere, if McKinley is viewable, this is the area to be- rarely is. Essentially no activites in the area except a trail. You are 50 miles from the nearest town- Talkeetna- great funky place. And this is where the train is, if that is your mode of transportation??

Flightseeing is just excellent out of Talkeetna, rafting ok. Nice museum in town. You need to max. your time and plan out your shuttle schedule, you don't want to be going back and forth to Talkeetna too many times.

I do believe you will need to be far more prepared than you think. Distances are vast with long transit times. There aren't any ready "convenience" stores in most areas. Have plenty of snacks, food, drinks for the kids, bring double your needed diapers.

And yes, I do believe you would be far better off going independent. Especially with the freedom for your own touring and the ability to stop and time out when needed. Would be far cheaper I would suspect as well?? I can fully understand the attraction of the tours, but Alaska travel is simple and there is way more to travel options there than what is seen on the tours, being point to point.

As only a small example, Eagle River Nature center is a delight- offers a place for kids to run, Wasilla sled dog museum- cheapest bargain in Alaska, $5 dog cart ride, and more places to run. Full service grocery in Wasilla, last one until Fairbanks.

As for shore excursions, there are way too many to recommend, better would be to look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. I probably wouldn't take the baby on any over an hour, unless they have a "way out". ?? Repost perhaps your top 5 choices, then you will get some accurate detailed information to help your planning.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM

No guarantees on weather, you need to be prepared for a wide range, meaning, lightweight lined jackets, rain gear, layers, knit hat, gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all except off thread people:
My sister is retiring after 35 years teaching and inlieu of ret party wanted Alaska Cruise. We decided on cruisetour. She is taking her 3 grandkids. Her son is taking 7 mo old. My wife and I can be on our own but it is more for my sister. We do know what kind of trip it is but wanted to get more info. Thanks